Old White Copper Pot?

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New member here. Perusing around the forums and wandered in here. Absolutely astounded at the amount of knowledge you guys have.

Last year I picked up an old white copper pot at a flea market in the area. What drew me to it was its apparent age. It measures about 7" in diameter at the base and 3.25" tall. The spout projects about 3" from the bowl itself. In addition to the decorative marks all around there is some other mark that looks to possibly be writing, but in language that I would not recognize. It strikes me as being very, very old.

Posting some photos to see if any of you can figure this out. I had thought about taking it to a local museum, but didn't want to get laughed at.

001.JPG002.JPG003.JPG005.JPG007.JPG008.JPG010.JPG012.JPG013.JPG

Thanks for looking:icon_thumleft:

White copper? From the photo it looks like it was plated silver , it's definitely old and the design is done by hand.

Upvote 0
Not absolutely sure of the material. White copper is an alloy of copper and nickel, also called German silver. Oxidation on the inside is green, like copper oxidation, and it smells like copper if you know what I mean. Its not magnetic.

I'm open to any suggestions - thanks for taking a look

Upvote 0
That gives me a lead to look into........Thanks

Upvote 0
I couldn't find anything in dairy that looked like that . It could have held a certain amount of liquid and than pored into a bottle. Just guessing.:icon_thumright:

Upvote 0
I couldn't find anything in dairy that looked like that . It could have held a certain amount of liquid and than pored into a bottle. Just guessing.:icon_thumright:

Do a search on cream seperator,,, primrose. The ones that you will see are newer, yours is a manual and much older. Tony

Upvote 0
I really think you guys are on to something with the cream seperator idea. I can't seem to find any images or info on what might have been used back in the day (before the mechanized type). I think I'm going to bring the pot into work tomorrow and have it analyzed to see what metals are present. I'll update then. Sure would be intersted to know how old it might be.

Thanks again for looking!

Upvote 0
As far as the material, I suspect it's tin coated copper, which was common amongst the Turkish and others of that region.
I don't if they if they bothered with cream separation, but I can't come up with a match to the shape of it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back