Old Velva Milk Bottle

AmyReid

Aug 21, 2023
Hi everyone! I found this old Velva milk bottle and I havenā€™t seen these on any site. I did find a legal document of a sort of scandal between the Dairy Association and the Federal Trade Commission from I think the 30ā€™sā€¦ Iā€™m just wondering if anyone knows about this bottle or if thereā€™s a market for it and maybe what itā€™s worth.
IMG_4760.jpeg
IMG_4760.jpeg

Probably from the Velva Creamery in Velva, North Dakota. Neat bottle!

Welcome to TNET :hello:

Upvote 1
Welcome to Tnet. The dispute you referenced relates to the 1950s and rumbled on until a final case-law opinion in 1968:

The 'VELVA' involved in the dispute was a brand used by a New Orleans company (H.G. Hills). ā€˜VELVAā€™ was filed as a trademark for Fresh Milk and Buttermilk plus a number of other products in 1952 (granted 1955) by H.G. Hills Stores Inc. of Broad Street, New Orleans and passed to its successor Winn-Dixie Stores Inc. of Jacksonville, Florida. They last renewed the mark in 1995 but it has now expired.

The H.G. Hills application cited first use as 1927 and first use in commerce as 1929 (ie the VELVA brand name was being used unregistered from those dates).

How does that stack up with the geography of where you found the bottle (vs. North Dakota)?

Upvote 0
Hi everyone! I found this old Velva milk bottle...anyone knows about this bottle...
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard!
tn_metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might consider posting your pictures on WHAT'S IT WORTH? for additional exposure...
tn_moved_over.gif
3rd - I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to WHAT IS IT? for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back