Old Trail on the East Side of Bluff Spring Mountain

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chapter 10 of "The Lost Dutchman Mine" by Sims Ely mentions an old trail leading up the east side of Bluff Spring Mountain. I'm wondering if there is still evidence of that old trail and, if so, does anyone know exactly where it begins? GPS coordinates would be helpful.

I have other questions related to this book, but I'll raise them in separate posts.

Jimmy was a cowboy employed on the Bark range, and he was a special friend of mine since I had once done him a substantial favor. That evening he was genuinely excited. "Do you know," he exclaimed, "there's a trail that runs up the east side of Bluff Spring Mountain? Well, there is - a big, wide trail -and I found it yesterday. I hurried to Phoenix to tell you about it."

The trail didn't show on the mountainside, Jimmy Anderson said, until you were some rods up and quite a distance from the brush where he had been working a steer out, and he never would have noticed it at all if he hadn't happened to be at just the proper spot. It ran at an angle to the right for a considerable distance, then doubled back, and finally zigzagged its way to the top. And the truly astonishing thing was that the trail was deeply worn into the solid rock in many places, and everywhere it was at least three feet wide. Thousands of animals must have traveled up and down that trail, said Jimmy Anderson, in order to wear it so deep. He had ridden the trail to the summit, becoming more and more astonished by the minute, marveling at the great skill that had been required to layout its course.

I realized at once that this was truly momentous information. Unfortunately Jim Bark was up north just then, but just as soon as he was available, we rushed out to the range. Jimmy Anderson went with us to show us the trail.

It was just as he had described it. In most places it was at least three feet wide, and in many sections it was worn into the rock to a depth of at least three inches. And all this width and depth were there at least half a century after the Mexicans had kept their horses and mules on that summit. We decided, of course, that erosion had had something to do with the depth of the trail, that water from the rains could have accounted for some of the depth; yet here at last, it seemed, was irrefutable evidence that the old mine we sought was somewhere in this area. We rode our horses the full length of the trail and then, still on horseback, explored much of the flat. A half-mile or so to the north from where the trail emerged at the summit, we found the head of a ravine which was more than a mile long and ended in the narrow section of the wedge. In many places along this ravine, there were deep tanks of water in the bedrock. Serving as catchment basins when it rained, these natural tanks would supply ample water the year around for animals living on the mountain. The ravine ended in a sheer drop of at least a hundred feet-a gorgeous waterfall when it rained. (At a later date I examined the terrain around the foot of the drop with my prospector friend, E. E. Wright, and we observed that miniature Niagaras had carved a hole in the bedrock there of the diameter of a forty-gallon barrel and at least two feet deep.)

Everywhere we found luxuriant grass, and I was led to remark that the magnificent pasture surrounding us was certainly a reflection on the much vaunted intelligence of the Bark bulls. For Jim had said on former occasions that in times of extreme drought they would make their way to the highest and most difficult places in search of feed, and indeed the trails which they-and the cows and steers that followed them-had made in this way had served to obliterate every ancient trail which otherwise might have led us to the mine we sought. Yet here was a trail and a bovine heaven that they had missed. It was Jimmy Anderson who sprang to the bulls' defense, pointing out, as he had before, that the trail did not begin at the base of the mountain, but some rods up the slope. It was a trail that had evaded men's eyes until now, and a bull, he guessed, might be pardoned the error.

This was a natural stronghold for both men and animals - a hidden trail on the east and its only other approach, the narrow and difficult one to the west, barred by vertical canyon walls, which Jim and I had surmounted on our first trip to Bluff Spring Mountain. And there, as Indian John had explained to Jimmy Gibson, a few guards armed with rifles could defeat any band of Apaches that sought to steal the horses and mules. As we sat our horses, looking about us, we agreed that here at last, on this isolated mountaintop and in the trail leading to it, we had found such evidence as should stimulate us to pursue the Dutchman as a reality. No other possible reason could be deduced for the construction and use of that trail or for occupying the flat summit with such great numbers of animals. Certainly the mine was somewhere in this area, but whether it was north, south, east, or west of this the silent mountain vouchsafed not a clue. Bluff Spring is another prime exhibit in the case. This is the formerly flowing spring, now only a well, situated at the base and about midway of the four-mile mountain to which it has given its name. It lies only a few hundred yards from the brush where Jimmy Anderson made his momentous discovery.

When the two cattlemen, Le Barge and Charlebois, brought their herds in from the northwest and established them along Le Barge Canyon, as it came to be called, they found an abundance of pure, fresh water there and also at the mouth of the intersecting canyon since named for Charlebois. Exploring the surrounding country, they were amazed to find a protected supply of water within a well curbing - the future Bluff Spring. At one time the water had flowed free - this was evident - but now it had been curbed by a skillfully laid rock wall, which stood some two feet above the surface and reached down to a considerable depth.

But why? these cattlemen asked themselves. Le Barge Spring with its unlimited supply of water was less than two miles distant, and Charlebois Spring only another two miles beyond that. For what reason had people gone to the trouble?

Jim Bark and I assumed that the spring was used by the Mexicans on their expeditions to and from the mine, and good evidence supporting this conclusion came to light when Jim discovered in a recess in the mountain wall, some yards higher than the spring, at least a hundred Mexican sandals. These sandals, with soles of cactus fiber, held to the foot of the wearer by cactus strings tied over the instep, were eloquent testimony to the use of this water by Mexican peons in large numbers. Impractical for mountain wear, the sandals had been cached there by the spring and then forgotten in the stress of Indian attack or other hazard. The spring was therefore, we surmised, the last gathering place for Mexican expeditions before they set out on the return journey to Mexico via the direct route to the south. That surmise was made certain by Jimmy Anderson's discovery. Here, indeed, was the final outfitting place. Here the horses and mules were brought down from the mountaintop. Here they received their loads. And from here, if their luck held, soon both men and animals were out on the desert, away from all danger of attack by the Apaches. "The Lost Dutchman Mine" by Sims Ely

Chapter 10 of "The Lost Dutchman Mine" by Sims Ely mentions an old trail leading up the east side of Bluff Spring Mountain. I'm wondering if there is still evidence of that old trail and, if so, does anyone know exactly where it begins? GPS coordinates would be helpful.

I have other questions related to this book, but I'll raise them in separate posts.

Jimmy was a cowboy employed on the Bark range, and he was a special friend of mine since I had once done him a substantial favor. That evening he was genuinely excited. "Do you know," he exclaimed, "there's a trail that runs up the east side of Bluff Spring Mountain?
……
Jimmy Anderson went with us to show us the trail………
………..We rode our horses the full length of the trail and then, still on horseback, explored much of the flat. A half-mile or so to the north from where the trail emerged at the summit, we found the head of a ravine which was more than a mile long and ended in the narrow section of the wedge. ………..
Skyhawk,
I looked at bluff springs mountain, and in particular, the east approach where according to the story, the trail is/was that led up to the top.

IMG_1174.png
Along the east approach, the area that looked the most promising to me, would be in the vacinity of where I dropped a pin.

The next image, is showing the top of Bluff Springs Mountain, where there is a flat, and about 1/2 mile north of the bluffs at the south end, looks to be the head of a ravine that is more than a mile long.

IMG_1175.jpeg
The area sure seems to fit the descriptions 🤷🏼‍♂️
I really don’t see concrete evidence of a trail, but lots of rainstorms have come and gone since then🥴

Idahodutch

Idahodutch --

Just using Google Earth, which isn't very reliable, I selected a likely approach to the summit beginning at Bluff Spring. I would call this the southeast side of the mountain, not the east side. According to GE, Bluff Spring is inside the small red box. Higher up, inside the large red box is a level area enclosed by natural ramparts; it looks like an excellent defensive position.

A.png

Idahodutch --

Just using Google Earth, which isn't very reliable, I selected a likely approach to the summit beginning at Bluff Spring. I would call this the southeast side of the mountain, not the east side. According to GE, Bluff Spring is inside the small red box. Higher up, inside the large red box is a level area enclosed by natural ramparts; it looks like an excellent defensive position.

View attachment 2165802
Yes.
Some would disagree that there was a lot of mining activity in there, and that the Peralta, or other large groups had major operations going on.

The guys in the story, we’re getting excited about maybe something was up on bluff springs mountain.
The high value in my mind was the safe keeping of their transportation out of that place. The pack animals had grass and water up there, and was easily protected.

The waterfalls mentioned in the story, at the north end of the ravine , dumps off at the NW part of bluff springs mountain and into “Bluff Springs Canyon” before dumping into needle creek. We had a base camp right there in the flat area just adjacent to the runoff of that same waterfall.

Idahodutch

Yes.
Some would disagree that there was a lot of mining activity in there, and that the Peralta, or other large groups had major operations going on.

The guys in the story, we’re getting excited about maybe something was up on bluff springs mountain.
The high value in my mind was the safe keeping of their transportation out of that place. The pack animals had grass and water up there, and was easily protected.

The waterfalls mentioned in the story, at the north end of the ravine , dumps off at the NW part of bluff springs mountain and into “Bluff Springs Canyon” before dumping into needle creek. We had a base camp right there in the flat area just adjacent to the runoff of that same waterfall.

Idahodutch
Hello Skyhawk1251,

For the history and location (including GPS coordinates) of the Ely-Anderson Trail please see Jack Carlson's book Superstitions Wilderness Trails West pages 135 - 140. Jack's map on page 115 shows the route of the Ely-Anderson Trail.

The last time I hiked the Ely-Anderson Trail was in 2011, it was in good shape at that time.

Best, Steve

My best-guess route beginning from the southeast is one of several possible routes to the summit. The approach from the southeast is recognized as the easiest way to the top.

Pinning down the actual location of the so-called Ely-Anderson Trail is fraught with inconsistencies and confusion. Contrary to the southeastern location on a mostly open slope shown in "The Hiker's Guide," the description given in Curt Gentry's book "The Killer Mountains" is altogether different. Gentry chronicles Glenn Magill's infamous Dutchman search in the 1960s and gives the trail's location explicitly as being "on the sheer east side of Bluff Spring Mountain," where he describes extreme terrain and past landslides. He says, "The Anderson-Ely trail had brought him up the east or LaBarge Canyon side, about midway in the mountain." Also, the map on pg.118 explicitly shows the trail documented by Magill as being well to the north of Bluff Springs on the eastern face.

T.E.Glover in his widely respected book "The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Part I: The Golden Dream" shows a map placing the head of the trail right at Bluff Spring itself and describes two trails found by rancher Jim Bark (Anderson's employer and Sims Ely's partner). One matching the map: "down the southeast side of the mountain to Bluff Spring," and another closely matching Magill's description: "along the east side of the mountain and down into Mexican Camp."

Add to this Helen Corbin's statement in her book "Curse of the Dutchman's Gold." On pg.174, she describes the trail most likely matching Carlson's description as being discovered in relatively recent times by ranch owner Gus Barkley.

Although these various and somewhat dubious descriptions would point to another location for the true Ely-Anderson trail, it remains a mystery why anyone would choose such a treacherous route up the sheer east face when the more obvious, easy, and closer access is up the relatively mild slope of the southeast corner.

Not only is Bluff Spring Mountain one of the more massive features of the Superstitions, but also one of the least accessible. It is so large that it contains its very own valley appropriately named "Hidden Valley." There are only three generally accepted points of access to the mountain. The first and most accessible being the southeast approach described herein. The second and more difficult would be the breach in the west face that we will use on our descent to the Terrapin Trail. Third, and possibly the most difficult, is a rumored and formally undocumented route through the opening at the extreme north end. I guess there would be a fourth way if Magill's route up the east side still exists or ever did. -- Fritzski, HikeArizona.com

See also:
http://superstitionmountaintomkollenborn.blogspot.com/2008/10/ghost-trail.html

My best-guess route beginning from the southeast is one of several possible routes to the summit. The approach from the southeast is recognized as the easiest way to the top.

Pinning down the actual location of the so-called Ely-Anderson Trail is fraught with inconsistencies and confusion. Contrary to the southeastern location on a mostly open slope shown in "The Hiker's Guide," the description given in Curt Gentry's book "The Killer Mountains" is altogether different. Gentry chronicles Glenn Magill's infamous Dutchman search in the 1960s and gives the trail's location explicitly as being "on the sheer east side of Bluff Spring Mountain," where he describes extreme terrain and past landslides. He says, "The Anderson-Ely trail had brought him up the east or LaBarge Canyon side, about midway in the mountain." Also, the map on pg.118 explicitly shows the trail documented by Magill as being well to the north of Bluff Springs on the eastern face.

T.E.Glover in his widely respected book "The Lost Dutchman Mine of Jacob Waltz, Part I: The Golden Dream" shows a map placing the head of the trail right at Bluff Spring itself and describes two trails found by rancher Jim Bark (Anderson's employer and Sims Ely's partner). One matching the map: "down the southeast side of the mountain to Bluff Spring," and another closely matching Magill's description: "along the east side of the mountain and down into Mexican Camp."

Add to this Helen Corbin's statement in her book "Curse of the Dutchman's Gold." On pg.174, she describes the trail most likely matching Carlson's description as being discovered in relatively recent times by ranch owner Gus Barkley.

Although these various and somewhat dubious descriptions would point to another location for the true Ely-Anderson trail, it remains a mystery why anyone would choose such a treacherous route up the sheer east face when the more obvious, easy, and closer access is up the relatively mild slope of the southeast corner.

Not only is Bluff Spring Mountain one of the more massive features of the Superstitions, but also one of the least accessible. It is so large that it contains its very own valley appropriately named "Hidden Valley." There are only three generally accepted points of access to the mountain. The first and most accessible being the southeast approach described herein. The second and more difficult would be the breach in the west face that we will use on our descent to the Terrapin Trail. Third, and possibly the most difficult, is a rumored and formally undocumented route through the opening at the extreme north end. I guess there would be a fourth way if Magill's route up the east side still exists or ever did. -- Fritzski, HikeArizona.com

See also:
http://superstitionmountaintomkollenborn.blogspot.com/2008/10/ghost-trail.html
My first swing at locating the Ely-Anderson trail was back in the 1970's and I used the ravine behind the old Bluff Spring trough up past the actual spring site. I found the old trail towards the head of the ravine on the left hand side of the ravine and past a cave with a hole in the top of it. Tom Glover and I have talked about the route he mentions in his book and I think that's the same route I used in the 70's. To me, the route Jack Carlson describes in his book coming up from the south is much easier than coming in from the east by the spring.

Although I haven't looked for other routes up Bluff Spring Mountain from the east side, I have used a nice route up the west side above Williams Camp (the old Linesba camp) and also from the west side from the Bluff Saddle area. A third route from the west starts at the foot of Roiders Draw and winds it's way to Bluff Spring Mountain peak (this route is marked on Jack Carlson's map).

I've used two routes coming in from the north (also in Jack's book) one of which was used by modern horsemen like Tom Kollenborn and George Martin.

No doubt other routes exist to the top of Bluff Spring Mountain.

My first swing at locating the Ely-Anderson trail was back in the 1970's and I used the ravine behind the old Bluff Spring trough up past the actual spring site. I found the old trail towards the head of the ravine on the left hand side of the ravine and past a cave with a hole in the top of it. Tom Glover and I have talked about the route he mentions in his book and I think that's the same route I used in the 70's. To me, the route Jack Carlson describes in his book coming up from the south is much easier than coming in from the east by the spring.

Although I haven't looked for other routes up Bluff Spring Mountain from the east side, I have used a nice route up the west side above Williams Camp (the old Linesba camp) and also from the west side from the Bluff Saddle area. A third route from the west starts at the foot of Roiders Draw and winds it's way to Bluff Spring Mountain peak (this route is marked on Jack Carlson's map).

I've used two routes coming in from the north (also in Jack's book) one of which was used by modern horsemen like Tom Kollenborn and George Martin.

No doubt other routes exist to the top of Bluff Spring Mountain.
Here is what Tom Kollenborn said about the Ely-Anderson Trail in article he wrote in 2008:

The Ghost Trail
October 20, 2008 © Thomas J. Kollenborn. All Rights Reserved.

The Anderson-Ely Trail off the northeast end of Bluff Springs Mountain and into La Barge Canyon is a real challenge on horseback. You might ask Jim and Betty Swanson about the trail. The three of us, along with Harold Christ, rode the trail across the top of Bluff Springs Mountain several years ago. The trail was rough and very brushy. There was plenty of cacti and Catclaw to keep you busy as well as plenty of boulders and rock slides to negotiate. This trail was often used by cattlemen checking on their livestock that grazed on top of Bluff Springs Mountain during the early and late spring. Basically there are two horse trails that will take you to the top of Bluff Springs Mountain.

One trail is located at the south end of Bluff Springs Mountain near Bluff Spring, a permanent source of water in the early days. For more than fifty years there was a concrete water tank at the site that provided cool water year [round]. Several years ago the forest service removed the concrete trough, broke it up into small pieces and packed it up onto the alluvial slopes of Bluff Springs Mountain. This action was part of the wilderness management plan to return the region to its natural state.

The southern access trail is also a challenge to a rider on horseback. I have ridden this trail many times and have often wondered why anyone would want to chase cows in this God-forsaken, cacti-covered country. Some old timers also consider this a part of the Anderson-Eli Trail. I’ve always been told the Anderson-Ely was the trail off the northeast end of Bluff Springs Mountain. Contemporary mapmakers and Dutch hunters make reference to the trail as the Ely-Anderson. Today the trail is often called the Ely-Anderson because of Ely’s notoriety as an author and his search for the Lost Dutchman Mine. Anderson punched cows in the Superstitions for many years. He worked for Barkley and Criswell in the region. I believe Anderson worked for both Barkley and Bark as a cowboy. Sims Ely was James Bark’s prospecting and Lost Dutchman Mine-hunting partner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back