old toy gun / ?

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
i found this old gun under a neighbors clothes lines, at least i think it's a toy gun, but it is very heavy for being such a small gun, it's so rusty i can't even be certain it's a toy. but if it is a real gun i don't think it could be larger than a 22 short cal. ( judging by the opening on the top of it ).

there is also a strange "pop top bottle cap" in the pic., i don't ever remember seeing one like it before

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 434
Upvote 0
Nice finds! Is there any way you could clean the gun a little to see what its made of? Does it feel heavy for a toy gun? Looks interesting! WTG

hi surfrat, ya it just seems way too heavy just to be a toy gun, unless maybe it's chock full of lead shot or bb's. i just ran it under the faucet to clean all the dirt off it. ?

i had forgot to ask, what would be the best way to try to clean it up ? i had thought of trying penetrating oil or WD-40 ?

either one would work and use 000 or 0000 steel wool. Best bet to see would try cleaning on the left side of slide area. Squirt penetrating oil along barrel bushing area and along slide where it contacts the frame and where the ejector port is.

Just be careful if it ends up being real...chances are slim it can fire but there could be one in the chamber, just a concerning thought but cograds either way!!!
Pepperpump :-\ ;D

That looks like a real pistol. It's hard to ID in that condition, but it looks like an Advantage 422 4 shot 22 LR derringer. Clean it up and look for some markings. Also, try and re-post a pic when its cleaned. ( use the WD40)##

Nice find!

Interesting about the gun,,, looks like it could go either way...
I with you on the pull-tab/bottle cap,,, don't think I've ever seen one like that...
Keep us posted...

You sure have had some great relic finds of late Lobsterman,Cool gun.My guess is an old cap gun.Cap rool fit in the top.But only a guess.HH

i was thinking it looked sort of like a mini colt 1911 ( but a top eject), if there was such a thing ??? , does anyone know when those types of semi auto's came out ? 1940's / 50's ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back