SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is a thimble and appears to be silver. No silver mark anywhere but a chip on the edge still shows silver...so. There is nothing inside; I looked carefully.

Also, is it a "K" or "H" inscription on the front?

Any idea or its age or how I could find out for my friend Jeff. He has no computer. It was found about 3" down at an old 1800s house in Yellow Springs Ohio-the town that time forgot!

100_0652.jpg

100_0649.jpg

100_0651.jpg

SKD

Could be 1880s. Could be 1920s. The "K" is probably the initial of a first or last name. It is a Beautiful thimble.

The number "10" on the side of it might be a clue to the thimble's age.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0
the number 10 is the size of the thimble.
no sterling mark places it prior to what 1830? or so.
no makers mark? a little crown or some other critter?

Upvote 0
tulecanyon said:
the number 10 is the size of the thimble.
no sterling mark places it prior to what 1830? or so.
no makers mark? a little crown or some other critter?

I didn't think silver and gold marking was required until much later. :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
the earliest sterling mark i found was 1868...but i believe that some people were using a mark earlier. the europeans have been marking metals longer than the us...so...i made up a 'could be' date.

Upvote 0
tulecanyon said:
the earliest sterling mark i found was 1868...but i believe that some people were using a mark earlier. the europeans have been marking metals longer than the us...so...i made up a 'could be' date.

The earliest example being 1868 doesn't mean that All silver was marked after 1868 and none of it marked before then...

Silver was produced, unmarked, for a long time after some companies started marking it. What I'm saying is that markings weren't Required until much later.

-Buckles

Upvote 0
Thimbles manufactured before the late 19th century were not marked with the size number. Gold and silver thimbles with a size number can be dated as less than one hundred years old. The major thimble manufacturers in the US in 1900, i.e., Brogan, Bass, Goldsmith Stern, Ketcham and McDougall, Simons, Stern, Waite Thresher and Webster, each had its own sizing system. They were similar, but not
exactly the same. Thimble sizes are not standard. Each country has its own thimble sizing system.

Country Child Small Medium Large
United States 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8 9,10,11 12,13.14
Germany &
Holland 1,2 3,4 5,6,7 8,9,10
England 10,11,12 9,8,7 6,5 4,3,2,1
France 4,5,6,7 8 9,10 11,12
Norway 1 2,3 4

Above Ref from this site: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Modern-684/Book-Size.htm

Don

Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
Thimbles manufactured before the late 19th century were not marked with the size number. Gold and silver thimbles with a size number can be dated as less than one hundred years old. The major thimble manufacturers in the US in 1900, i.e., Brogan, Bass, Goldsmith Stern, Ketcham and McDougall, Simons, Stern, Waite Thresher and Webster, each had its own sizing system. They were similar, but not
exactly the same. Thimble sizes are not standard. Each country has its own thimble sizing system.

Country Child Small Medium Large
United States 1,2,3,4,5 6,7,8 9,10,11 12,13.14
Germany &
Holland 1,2 3,4 5,6,7 8,9,10
England 10,11,12 9,8,7 6,5 4,3,2,1
France 4,5,6,7 8 9,10 11,12
Norway 1 2,3 4

Above Ref from this site: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collectibles-General-Modern-684/Book-Size.htm

Don

Thanks for the research help everyone and especially Don in NJ for his extensive thimble info!

Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
tulecanyon said:

The earliest example being 1868 doesn't mean that All silver was marked after 1868 and none of it marked before then...

Silver was produced, unmarked, for a long time after some companies started marking it. What I'm saying is that markings weren't Required until much later.

-Buckles

Good thought BB, no marking does not imply age! Thanks for commenting. See you in Chat!

Upvote 0
SoreKneesDayton said:
Good thought BB, no marking does not imply age! Thanks for commenting. See you in Chat!

Yeah, we went through that on here a few weeks ago with rings--whether they were stamped 18 or 18K and still made of brass or not...

Thanks for clarifying the size markings, Don. I never knew--but I know now. :thumbsup:

That's a great find there, SK. Took me 16 years to find a silver one.

:)

Upvote 0
mrs.oroblanco said:
I love sterling thimbles.

Here is a couple - one that resembles yours, but I think yours is in better shape. Made in New York.

http://www.pauloadams.com/080313/img/I15.JPG

Great find!!!!!!!!!!

B

Thanks for the link Mrs oro
Jeff found a mandral about the size of the thimble and straightened it out more. I reall y looks nice now but no Manf mark anywhere.

We check with a magnet, incase it was steel and silver plated, but it is not magnetic! Silver then.

PS: Thank you for your service to our country!

SKD for Jeff -out

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back