48.3 KB · Views: 400
  • b4.JPG
    b4.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 384
  • b5.JPG
    b5.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 372
Re: old buckle?

I would say at least around cw era suspender clip (nice call newt) very nice find moe

Upvote 0

You most certainly have a suspender clip there--mid to late 1800s. :)

It was the clip from the back of the suspenders, rather than the front.

Here is a nearly identical example that we found earlier this year (see the finds photos in the link):

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,163123.0.html

Regards,

Buckles

Upvote 0

Thanks for the replies!

Buckles - thank you for the ID and link. Yours seems identical to the one I found. Also the guy in NY found one too. So we have three identical suspender clips found in North Florida, Kentucky, and New York. Do you think that these could be Union soldiers' suspenders?

-Moe

Upvote 0

Moe (fl) said:
Thanks for the replies!

Buckles - thank you for the ID and link. Yours seems identical to the one I found. Also the guy in NY found one too. So we have three identical suspender clips found in North Florida, Kentucky, and New York. Do you think that these could be Union soldiers' suspenders?

-Moe

Hi Moe, nice find. Count NH in on your totals ;D You have 1/2 of a two piece set. I found mine two years ago near a river along with some Civil War buttons. Not sure if it is Civil War related or not though.

Ed-

Attachments

• DSC04551.JPG
    DSC04551.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 331
  • DSC04552.JPG
    DSC04552.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 327
Upvote 0

Moe (fl) said:
Thanks for the replies!

-Moe

Well... If you found the clip in an area with other CW relics, you could throw it in the case--it is "Civil War Era." But on the other hand, we all know what 99.99% of CW troops used to hold their pants up. :o :wink:

I have found close to 40 suspender clips in mid-to-late 1800s Civilian sites this year.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy said:
Moe (fl) said:
Thanks for the replies!

-Moe

Well... If you found the clip in an area with other CW relics, you could throw it in the case--it is "Civil War Era." But on the other hand, we all know what 99.99% of CW troops used to hold their pants up. :o :wink:

I have found close to 40 suspender clips in mid-to-late 1800s Civilian sites this year.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Yah I agree Buckle Boy. I'd love to say it came from a CW soldier but just can't do it :-\ It sits in one of my other 1800's buckle cases. Btw the only CW items I ever found in NH were eagle buttons.

Upvote 0
well while not issued gear * thus not marked "us govt " or "csa"--- I'm fairly sure if they were avialible union and confederate folks both used suspenders to hold their pants up * since its kind hard to load a muzzleloading rifle with just one hand (since you hold it with one hand and ramrod with the other)-- so you can't do it if one hand is holding yer pants up. ;D :wink: -- and finding them in a area where known civil war items were found and knowing their age is within that time range --I personally would think they most likely were used by the troops -- but there is not way to "iron clad" prove it -- so they can be "properly" claimed as "civil war era" if your selling them**** -- now if its solely for your "private collection" only however -- I would feel it is ok to say to others --that you feel its most likely civil war troop used * so long as you explained that the reason for your thinking so---- that it was found near and along with other "known" civil war items and is of the correct time frame -- the suspender clip might have just been a popular brand * of the day which could account for it being at several "differant" places --- just like ford cars today are all over the usa .

Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
well while not issued gear * thus not marked "us govt " or "csa"--- I'm fairly sure if they were avialible union and confederate folks both used suspenders to hold their pants up * since its kind hard to load a muzzleloading rifle with just one hand (since you hold it with one hand and ramrod with the other)-- so you can't do it if one hand is holding yer pants up. ;D :wink: -- and finding them in a area where known civil war items were found and knowing their age is within that time range --I personally would think they most likely were used by the troops -- but there is not way to "iron clad" prove it -- so they can be "properly" claimed as "civil war era" if your selling them**** -- now if its solely for your "private collection" only however -- I would feel it is ok to say to others --that you feel its most likely civil war troop used * so long as you explained that the reason for your thinking so---- that it was found near and along with other "known" civil war items and is of the correct time frame -- the suspender clip might have just been a popular brand * of the day which could account for it being at several "differant" places --- just like ford cars today are all over the usa .
I like your approach to this situation 8)

Upvote 0
Thirteen years later. I hope you guys are still around. This is a 2 piece buckle that had wide straps. The other half of the buckle looks similar but 2 tongues.

Upvote 0
Thirteen years later. I hope you guys are still around. This is a 2 piece buckle that had wide straps. The other half of the buckle looks similar but 2 tongues.

Hey, why not post a pic or two of your finds - it is always fun to see the variety in an item of early clothing fasteners!
Welcome to TreasureNet...!

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I needed a new camera when I took this picture.:icon_scratch:

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
send it to the guy who just wrote and released the poorly-written suspender buckle book. He has it listed as one there but from your photo it’s obviously a sash buckle instead!
I haven't read George's book yet. I am working on my own thing on Fb right now. I started my new group on 1800's suspender buckles, etc. about a week or two ago. If I were to write a book on this subject, I would need the help of an army.

Upvote 1
I haven't read George's book yet. I am working on my own thing on Fb right now. I started my new group on 1800's suspender buckles, etc. about a week or two ago. If I were to write a book on this subject, I would need the help of an army.
Yeah I would’nt be in any hurry to go out and buy his book. As a resource it’s really poor.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back