Old Site Find

beau-bc

Mar 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT&Deus for relics &coins
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From a 1850s site,made from brass or copper?, same thickness of a coin. any ideas?Is broken off something 001 (2).JPGIs about 3" wide

Seen something like this on pickers before, could it be cast iron? The thing I seen was a cross and it was a Catholic grave marker, Not saying it is, just what popped into mind

Coin_Peeper

Upvote 0
Not iron,think its brass, thought maybe something to do with trunk?a latch?

Upvote 0
I do beleive that is the box lock arm,from a Chinese opium chest.They use the chinese locks like we have discussed before.I have a complete example at home I will try to get pictures of when I get a chance.Meanwhile I will see if I can scrounge up an online image

....I have seen singles (like yours)and doubles like this
chinese box.jpgbox2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
interesting, could it be the end of a strap hinge ? being brass or copper it could be for a chest . here are some end of old strap hinges from doors and as you see the design was really up to the BS that made them.
strap hinge 1.jpgstrap hinge 2.jpg

Upvote 0
oh i see kuger's post,, are you saying its the end of a hinge also Kuger ?

a hinged lock arm....as in the pictures

this lock was usedlock.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
omg,, my dad had a smaller version of the lock you have in your hand , as a kid i had no idea what it was ,, i wonder now if he still has it in his collection of junk.

...let me know if he does,I am interested in it...or,now ya know...Chinese Lock :thumbsup: Very cool,and VERY early form of modern PadlockOldChineseKey42041.jpg

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
says invalid link.
as for the lock i will ask him,, it did not have a key with it that i know off , but i remember the hole and the lock,, i always thought it was a little toy tool box made of metal..lol

Upvote 0
Kuger, I think you got it, its always looked familiar but now that you mentioned the flap for a hinge on the box for a lock,I believe that could be it. Nice ID.It'll be moving to my Chinese collection.Thanks again everyone.

Upvote 0
Kuger, I think you got it, its always looked familiar but now that you mentioned the flap for a hinge on the box for a lock,I believe that could be it. Nice ID.It'll be moving to my Chinese collection.Thanks again everyone.

..........and a FINE Chinese collection you have!!!
Put up some more!!! :occasion14:

Upvote 0
....I knew I had a pic in my files of the exact one!!!
...well,the site isnt up loading pics?

try this....

............................this is a neat box....for a Chinese style hat

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very interesting Surf!

The sites we find em in are strictly Chinese :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back