✅ SOLVED Old Shell Casing ... Can you ID or Date ???

rhoffart

Jan 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday I was searching a site dating back to mid 1800's and I found this piece of a shell casing that appeared to be very old. Here are a few macro shots on 1/4" graph paper. It's very rough in texture and seem to be made from maybe brass and copper. Any ideas of the age?

IMG_9538_zps9c1d4ba1.jpg

IMG_9537_zpse110a64e.jpg

IMG_9536_zpsaa2cdeb3.jpg

centerfire, dates to after 1873. don't know if centerfire was ever mde before that. appears to be heavier brass. do you have specs?

Upvote 0
Just a guess based on you having said it is on 1/4 inch graph paper, plus looking at the rim, and the size of the primer compared to the base..... I'd say in all likelyhood it's the base of a .25 Auto cartridge.

Upvote 0
Just a guess based on you having said it is on 1/4 inch graph paper, plus looking at the rim, and the size of the primer compared to the base..... I'd say in all likelyhood it's the base of a .25 Auto cartridge.

I'll measure it tomorrow. Sorry didn't think about that.

Upvote 0
First, let me congratulate you on excellent photos, they are awesome. Second, it looks like it has a head stamp, but I can't make heads or tails out of it if that's what it is. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Upvote 0
First, let me congratulate you on excellent photos, they are awesome. Second, it looks like it has a head stamp, but I can't make heads or tails out of it if that's what it is. Sorry I can't be of any help.

Thanks, I'm real curious about the age. It almost looks like it was a hand process. Yes, any stamp is unreadable.

Upvote 0
looks like a Miltary head stamp to me...-06?

Upvote 0
Primer is huge in relation to base. It's definately late 1800's if 1800's at all. I'm guessing a partial case from a .25-20 or .32-20.

247302d1317687201t-an-old-time-cartridge-38-55-25-20-2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just sized it with a caliper and it measured 8.30mm or 0.326 inches. Do this help any?

I'm going with the last post and calling it a .32-20 made from 1882 till today. Most popular from 1882 to 1940's

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back