Old School Yard results - No Silver- Question

bronco

Mar 2, 2008
Went to a new spot yesterday to scope it out so I sampled my way around and old school yard
Question form the board and "fishin" report
25 pennies- no wheats
2 nickles oldest coin of day a 59 jefferson
3 dimes none older than 99
NO SILVER
I was using preset coin setting on my whites spectrum

Id be interested in your thoughts on these results
Its sandy soil I dug very little foil or trash. my thought was Id sample the site quickly as I could digging solid hits only looking for better areas to concentrate on later
I'm wondering if this ratio of pennies to other coins seems out of wack it happens to me a lot
Sandy soil- pennies dimes and nickels were solid coin signals
most 1.5 to 3 inches or so deep

Any thoughts from silver hunters about these results?
Hit by other detectors?
Program need tweeking?
or does this ratio seem typical for others?

Happy Easter!

Upvote 5
The only thing I would say is to re-check the area with a different machine to see if the results vary. Or change settings on yours to try again.

Went to a new spot yesterday to scope it out so I sampled my way around and old school yard
25 pennies- no wheats
NO SILVER

Its sandy soil I dug very little foil or trash. my thought was Id sample the site quickly as I could digging solid hits only looking for better areas to concentrate on later
I'm wondering if this ratio of pennies to other coins seems out of wack it happens to me a lot

Hit by other detectors?
Program need tweeking?

Happy Easter!
Many things could be at play.
Question have you dug coinage, and silvers at a greater depth before?

Now for the 50-60 yrs folks have been driving by that same school having the same thought as you as to detecting it. One big difference they stopped many time probably before you saw it.

Another big factor is the actual age of the school, if it's old enough to have silver the question begs was it landscaped again.

Looking at your ratio is the nickel was missed, the place was refurbished with more recent drops so it has been hit before a good many times.

Congrats on the finds !

A few things you can do ...

It's always a good idea to play close attention to Nickel signals when your hunting an old area that's been pounded by a lot of other people over the years - Nickels are often overlooked.

Old Schools, Churches, Ball Fields etc. are "highly visible sites" - 99% of them have been hunted to death !

Make a list of all your family members, friends, co-workers, etc. and if their houses are more than 75 years old or so and try to get permission to hunt them. This will greatly increase your odds of finding Silver coins and other good finds because some of these yards might not have ever been hunted before.

Look for Vacant Lot's in your area where houses once stood - often overlooked and they often give up great finds.

As, most would agree - all old coins and relics are not always deeper.
I've dug Seated Liberty Dimes, Quarters and Large Cents that were only down 2" to 4".

Good Hunting !

Thanks for the replies everybody
Thats why I like this forum. Metal detectorists know how to reason troubleshoot and think logically
Thanks again for all the input I'll keep you posted on my progress at this spot.
Just seemed interesting to find so many pennies and so little else Senior class of 1968 dedicated the plaque at the flag pole. The building appears to be from the 40's. Seems I remember metal detectors becoming very popular in the late 70's. I think Ill pick a smaller area, try to tweek the controls for deeper and slower next go around
Most of those pennies were modern. Didn't strike me as a place that was pounded recently based on all the pennies.
Couldn't hardly go 10 feet, (Although that's what I was expecting) It is right on the road

Anyway thanks again all

Last edited:
25 pennies- no wheats
NO SILVER

Hit by other detectors?
Program need tweeking?

Happy Easter!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back