DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Found these items searching an old school house site in northern Baltimore County, MD.

HORTSMANN BROS & CO PHIL P.O.D button.
Clipped 1889 Indian Head penny. My second.
Stieff sterling silver handle. Stieff factory located in Balt., MD.
Marble

What interesting items have you found in a dug plug hole that were non-metallic?
My most interesting is an arrowhead found in Druid Hill Park in Baltimore. I'll post a picture of it when I find it.
oshbc1.JPGoshbc2.JPGoshbc3.JPGoshbc4.JPGoshbc5.JPG

Upvote 1
Nice pattern on that silver and neat button.
oddest thing to come out with a target?
fossilized human tooth, and a turn of the century cocaine vial,
From a 1905 newspaper article:

"READ WHAT

WILLIAM THOMPSON, OF CHICAGO

says of

BIRNEY'S CATARRH CURE

"Three years ago Thompson was a strong man. Now he is without money, Health, home, or friends."
(Chicago "Tribune")

"I began taking Birney's Catarrh Cure (says Thompson) three years ago, and the longing for the drug has grown so potent that I suffer without it.
I followed directions at first, then I increased the quantity until I bought the stuff by the dozen bottles."

A famous drink and drug cure in Illinois had, as a patient, not long ago, a fourteen-year -old boy, who was a slave to the Birney brand of cocaine. He had rum his father $300 in debt, so heavy were his purchases of the poison."

Attachments

• NH FINDS 08-15 018 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 08-15 018 copy.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 599
  • NH FINDS 06-30 008.jpg
    NH FINDS 06-30 008.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 131
Nice finds, especially the spoon handle. I also found an arrowhead, in the same hole as a quarter. More commonly, it's clay marbles.

Those r sum nice digs there DJ.. Strange why the IH is clipped, no need for half a cent in 1889? Looks like you will be back there for sure.. CONGRATS.. HH

Steelheadwill, that tooth is way cool!

Thanks fishstick. I thought that as well. Funny, I have two and the other is dated 1884. Both from the same park in different areas.

I've never found anything else in a plug, but I got a beautiful white arrowhead out of our septic tank ditch when it was being dug, and on the same place a few years later I found another arrow head, but not near as pretty, when digging a post hole.

About the only thing I ever find in plugs (besides the target) is pottery shards. I really enjoy collecting the nicer ones. Still have never found a marble, or pipe stem, two things that everyone else seems to find.

Found these items searching an old school house site in northern Baltimore County, MD.

Fascinating what one can find in an old school ground.

Nice.

Thanks for sharing.

HH!

Neat finds, First clipped Indian head I've ever seen.........................HH

Cool finds, I really like that Post Office Delivery button! Happy hunting, Sub.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back