Old Santa Fe trail finds. Eagle Buttons

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went swinging up on the Old Santa Fe Trail today. Between Santa Fe and Glorieta Pass. Had so many hits, got tired of digging... Found horse, mule , maybe ox shoes, lots of horseshoe nails, square nails, wagon wheel shims, pieces of chain, bullets, shells, and other pieces of metal. Did find a few buttons, two with Eagles on them. One looks like it has an I on the shield. Both are flattened, been in the ground a long time... Does anyone have info. on them?

Upvote 2
They're called General Service eagle buttons, found often in civil war sites. The I stands for Infantry. Button experts will be able to tell you more from the back marks, but they are nice finds. I believe yours will date to the mid 1800s.

OH, and welcome to T-Net!

Nice ! Battle of Glorieta Pass was a large skirmish indeed ! One of the furthest West of the Civil War as well - Along the
Santa Fe Trail you could find 18th century Spanish relics too. - Happy Hunting ! and Welcome to T-Net !!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back