Old Santa Fe trail finds. Eagle Button, and Old Bullets?

Lamy Lineman

Sep 27, 2014
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Equinox600, Whites MXT all Pro, Whites XL Pro, Whites Bullseye, Deteknix X-pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out on the Santa Fe Trail near Glorieta Pass NM again. Getting lots of targets, mostly cans, nails, nuts & bolts. Found a couple buttons, one with an eagle. Found a great web sight for Scovill buttons, ( http://relicman.combuttons/zBackmarkScovill.html ). The button has three stars on the backmark & Scovill CO. I think it was made from 1850 to 1860. Also found a round bullet, and a funny shaped one. The round one appears to have flat spots on two sides and what looks like file marks on one side. Also looks like a seam around the middle. The funny shaped one is flat on one side. Can anyone tell me if they are bullet's & how old?
View attachment 1067091View attachment 1067092View attachment 1067093View attachment 1067094View attachment 1067095View attachment 1067096View attachment 1067097View attachment 1067098View attachment 1067099

Looks like you have a dropped round ball, which would have been a muzzle loading rifle or pistol bullet. If you are interested in more info, there needs to be better measurements than sitting next to
a dime. Bullets are measured in 1/100's of an inch, sometimes 1/1000's.

Upvote 0
Yea, if I had a calibrater, I could give a better measurement. I am just looking for some basic information & hopeing there real... Thanks

Upvote 0
Looks real to me, you have a bullet fired from a hexagon berrel and an old button, and that's for real.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back