OLD San Francisco Coin/Token?

Drachnael

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum. I have a really old coin/token that my Grandfather passed down to me. He found it in his yard in Arkansas in the 1980s and he had no clue what it was then. I'm trying to determine what kind of coin this is, what it is made out of and what it is worth.

It is really thick, its black now but I dont know if it was always black. Its kind of heavy but not sure it would be heavy enough to be gold. Could be Lead? All I can make out on it is the words, "The Key to the Golden Bay", And "San Francisco, CAL" There are some what appear to be greek letters in the top of the shield. The Shield side has what appears to be a seated king, possibly Neptune, the other side has an image of a Light House.

There is no date on this coin. I don't think it can possibly be a US minted coin. Perhaps it was a trading coin? Or maybe a token of some kind?

Any help would be appreciated as I've scoured the internet to no avail.

Thanks!

Drachnael

7015552129_53c4fc4a66_c.jpg

6869440896_92b7350555_c.jpg

6869439706_79ca7ab327_c.jpg

I'm pretty sure it says Bay instead of Gate though that part is worn away. I've tried searching both ways on the net and can't find anything. I thought it might be a Golden Gate Token at first but it has a picture of a Lighthouse and not a picture of the bridge.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's a watch fob for an old pocket watch.

Fish

Would the bail or loop be broken off? Here is the only one I could find. It looks to me more like a crude souvenir tourist token but maybe. I would like to see a similar example. Trying to post here is sure an experience. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/68120-california-state-seal-any-ideas.html

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it gives me more to go on. I don't think it was for a pocket watch, one its not as big as a pocket watch and two it has both a front and back. I can't see where anything would have broken off. As for gold plating its hard to say. Its about the size of a half dollar but much thicker than a half dollar, about three times as thick.

But it could have been some kind of a state dignitary token or something maybe?

Upvote 0
Hmm... Interesting. I just put a magnet up to the coin and it did not attract the magnet but it did slightly repel the magnet.

Upvote 0
Hmm... Interesting. I just put a magnet up to the coin and it did not attract the magnet but it did slightly repel the magnet.

It repels both sides? I dont mean this in a bad way but try to stick it on your refrigerator?

Upvote 0

It repels both sides? I dont mean this in a bad way but try to stick it on your refrigerator?

I tried that, didnt do anything. I also tried other types of steel up to it but it did not stick. However, I did read that Gold, Platinum and Silver all have some anti magnetic properties IE they will slightly repel a strong magnetic force. But I'm not assuming anything. I think I'm just going to take this into a jewelry store and see if they can tell me what it is made out of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well guys, I think best I've been able to determine it must be some kind of an Expedition Medal. I still don't know what year it's from or what its made out of. I guess if it is a medal its likely brass or bronze? Yet I still can't find a photo that matches this one exactly.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back