Old Roman coin?

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to a older gentlemen in his 90's about coins and he came back with this and gave me. He didn't know what it was but his told me his father had given it to him when he was young. I can't figure out what it is and I'm hoping some one here could help. What is it?how old is it? Is it worth any thing?

Dig until your arm falls off

Attachments

• image-3936297684.jpg
    image-3936297684.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 104
  • image-1092574848.jpg
    image-1092574848.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-1393508535.jpg
    image-1393508535.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3912024017.jpg
    image-3912024017.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
It appears to be real to me it looks and feels right. Is there a weight it should be?

Upvote 0
The cross should be a star over D , could be a unlisted variant....but I doubt it, and there are a few other issues with the coin to.

SS

Upvote 0
What other issues ?

Upvote 0
Ok thanks

Upvote 0
Well that's sucks so its a fake?

Upvote 0
Is there a good site to do some research on about this coin?

Upvote 0
Looks OK to me, but here is Dads thoughts:

''There has been some debate about the above referenced coin and particularly due to the reverse. It can also be noted that the mint legend in the exergue is blundered but as it happens this type and make of coin was very prominent in the Delos Hoard where a great variety were catalogued. That work is recorded by J N Svoronos in the Journal international d’archéologie numismatique in 1910. He noted that a great number of these coins had illegible officinae letters. The full mint mark for Recondigger’s coin would be R over X in left field and F in right field with RP (the officinae) in exergue. This makes it a coin minted in Rome. Due to the quality of the Obverse bust and after comparison of a RIC Vol VII Rome mint No 27 (page 299) reverse pictured on www.Wildwinds, I believe that this coin will be a genuine Follis (if measuring at least 20-24mm and 3 to 6gm) of AD314-315 of Constantine I. Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right with Rev: SOLI INV-I-CTO COMITI Sol radiate standing left raising right hand with globe in left and Chamys across left shoulder. It is classed as the commonest of finds being classed C3.''

Upvote 0
Thank you for taking the time to check this coin pit for me. What would the value be on a coin like this? $10 or $1.000.000? Lol
I will measure and weigh it tomorrow and let you know what my results are

Upvote 0
Thank you for taking the time to check this coin pit for me. What would the value be on a coin like this? $10 or $1.000.000? Lol
I will measure and weigh it tomorrow and let you know what my results are

I just looked at ebay. If that is a good indication of the market, these coins go from $10 - $250 depending on variations and coin condition. Most were in the $30 - $50 range (asking price).

DCMatt

Upvote 0
I use eBay a lot but I couldn't find a match I don't know jack about coins like this thanks man

Upvote 0
I use eBay a lot but I couldn't find a match I don't know jack about coins like this thanks man

I didn't see this exact coin. I simply searched Constantin Follis to get a sense of the market. The highest price for a constantin follis on ebay was $575. Yours may be something special. I don't know.

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Personally in the UK I would not pay more than £10, but I know the US value these higher.

Dads thought on value:

Sears Vol IV 2011 book value is VF $16 and EF $50 with a collector knowing their stuff likely to pay up to 50% of perceived condition book value.

Upvote 0
Personally in the UK I would not pay more than £10, but I know the US value these higher.

Dads thought on value:

Sears Vol IV 2011 book value is VF $16 and EF $50 with a collector knowing their stuff likely to pay up to 50% of perceived condition book value.

Thanks once again crusader

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back