goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from vacation and i found this ring in a lake that has been used for swimming scince at least 1915. Off one of the piers, i found this ring. It apears to be copper or possibly a copper brass alloy. The design is hand-made and none of the scrolls match up. there are no markings inside either.

1. How old is it?
2. The jeweler offered to clean it for free, should i accept? (will it damage it)

Thanks

HH
-GC

Attachments

• IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 329
I dont think it will damage it, but when I took in an old pin I found to the antique dealer, she freaked when I said I was going to have it cleaned. She said leave it because the aged look is more appealing- I guess if your keeping it do what you please ;)

Sorry no clue how old it is

Upvote 0
Most likely modern, last 30 years or so, A lot of cheap jewelry is cast in copper and then plated with silver. old jewelry is commonly molded to make exact copies and can be produced in mass. They are then plated, and then sold cheap. Of course the thin plating of silver wears off quickly, exposing the copper, and the black on the ring, is probably the tarnished silver plate.

I know its not the sort of answer people want to hear but copper jewelry plated with silver is everywhere. They are not ment for long term use, just fashion and costume jewelry.

Upvote 0
jewelerdave said:
Most likely modern, last 30 years or so, A lot of cheap jewelry is cast in copper and then plated with silver. old jewelry is commonly molded to make exact copies and can be produced in mass. They are then plated, and then sold cheap. Of course the thin plating of silver wears off quickly, exposing the copper, and the black on the ring, is probably the tarnished silver plate.

I know its not the sort of answer people want to hear but copper jewelry plated with silver is everywhere. They are not ment for long term use, just fashion and costume jewelry.
Unfortunately a lot of folks buy the plated jewelry thinking they are getting silver. I have seen many of that type of jewelry.
DG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back