Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Found this ring yesterday. Markings say Nickel Sl VF.

Nothing fancy, but looks a bit older to me. What do you think?

Looks like there may be crudely raised letters on the Signet part, possibly initials PM? They're definitely not scratched in.

I was hoping someone might be able to better ID a time period on this ring?

20180324_225029 (2).jpg
20180324_230759 (2).jpg
20180324_2305312.jpg

thanks

Last edited:
a guess even at the age of the ring?

anyone?

Upvote 0
Nickel SI = nickel silver, sometimes called german silver, which is a white alloy of nickel, zinc, and copper. The 'VF' is probably the manufacturer. My guess is that is 1920's-30's

Upvote 0
Thanks, jewelerguy. I appreciate the input.

Upvote 0
Your ring is NOT marked "nickel si" but in fact marked "nickel SILVER".

Your piece is actually marked "silver"... it has been repaired OR has been sized in the middle of the word.

Upvote 0

Your piece is actually marked "silver"... it has been repaired OR has been sized in the middle of the word.

good catch. I didn't enlarge the pic to read the markings

Upvote 0
Nickel SI = nickel silver, sometimes called german silver, which is a white alloy of nickel, zinc, and copper. The 'VF' is probably the manufacturer. My guess is that is 1920's-30's

Jewelerguy, Educate me, do the letters on the ring appear to you as being crudely raised? If so, could this possibly be a wax seal from a self proclaimed dignitary of a small town or village overseas? Just asking, because I'm honestly trying to learn something here and I'm nowhere as versed on jewelry as you are an I'm not sure when the wax seal were no longer used for official or personal purposes. Thanks "D"

Upvote 0
Jewelerguy, Educate me, do the letters on the ring appear to you as being crudely raised? If so, could this possibly be a wax seal from a self proclaimed dignitary of a small town or village overseas? Just asking, because I'm honestly trying to learn something here and I'm nowhere as versed on jewelry as you are an I'm not sure when the wax seal were no longer used for official or personal purposes. Thanks "D"

they do look slightly raised in your pics, but I don't believe they are intended for the purpose of impression into wax or any other substance. If intended for wax seal impressions, the letters would be reversed so they would be legible in the wax after stamping it. My belief is that this ring was ordered either through a catalog mail order service or through a general/drug store where they would have a blank one for display and you could order it customized with the initials of your choice. I originally said I believed 1920's -30's, but I'm going to back up a bit and say 1910's-30's. Hope that's of some help.

Upvote 0

excellent observation AARC. thanks.

Upvote 0
they do look slightly raised in your pics, but I don't believe they are intended for the purpose of impression into wax or any other substance. If intended for wax seal impressions, the letters would be reversed so they would be legible in the wax after stamping it. My belief is that this ring was ordered either through a catalog mail order service or through a general/drug store where they would have a blank one for display and you could order it customized with the initials of your choice. I originally said I believed 1920's -30's, but I'm going to back up a bit and say 1910's-30's. Hope that's of some help.

Very nice. Thanks, Jewelerguy.

Do you guys thinks its possible that the initials could have been scratched into the surface originally, then, after decades in the ground the exposed metal within the scratches could have become raised due to oxidation or something of the like?

Upvote 0
Very nice. Thanks, Jewelerguy.

Do you guys thinks its possible that the initials could have been scratched into the surface originally, then, after decades in the ground the exposed metal within the scratches could have become raised due to oxidation or something of the like?

yes, I have a feeling that is the case

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back