Old Razor? Need help with its possible age.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I found this around an old 1700s barn. I was wondering what your thoughts were on its age? My research did not come up with anything too concrete. Also, would you hold on to something like this (its a razor, so I'm not sure how sanitary/safe it would be to keep), or would you throw it away no matter what its age?

Thanks all! IMG_5765.JPGIMG_5764.JPGIMG_5766.JPG

Thanks for the responses! I think 1950's isn't very old though :( I was hoping it was from the 1800's.

Upvote 0
Crap... people are calling that razor old.

I remember learning to shave with one.

I think it's time to buy a rocking chair, plaid pants and start complaining about the neighbors cat.

Upvote 0
I think in the 1800's they used straight razors, a leather strope was used for shaping.

Upvote 0

I think it's time to buy a rocking chair, plaid pants and start complaining about the neighbors cat.

lol!!

Upvote 0
I think in the 1800's they used straight razors, a leather strope was used for shaping.

thanks for that info Ant, that makes sense. One day I will actually find something old! If I told you that I never even found a wheat penny before, would you think I'm the worst metal detectorist in the world? haha, I really haven't yet.

Upvote 0
I've found a few hundred of those pesky wheat cents. I learned that to find old coins (wheats) consistently I needed to learn what a clad coin sounded like first, concentrate on the sounds first, not value readings.

Try to vision the sound in a horizontal graph with 3 points, with the beginning called the "ramp up," the middle is the "peak", and the end is the "ramp down". The sound graph would look something like I what I've added to the attached screen shot.

After I learned the differences between coin sounds and other targets I started consistently finding wheat pennies. I also found that the bestl coin learning spots were school playgrounds and playgrounds in public parks, and to go at off hours (night and early mornings) and bad weather days to avoid children. It took me 7 months of weekends to learn the language, one day it just came to me, then I hit the okd sites:

2015-11-07-13-10-03.jpg

CAM00147.jpg

CAM00150.jpg

Upvote 0

I remember using that kind in the mid 1970s and then the BIC disposable's hit the shelves.

Upvote 0
NOW THATS A REAL MANS RAZOR IF I HAVE EVER SEEN ONE . THEY ARE INTERESTING WHEN YOU FIND THEM . NICE OLD FIND . DAMNNN THING LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD TEAR ALL THE SKIN FROM YOUR FACE , AND SOME ARE PRETTY HEAVY AND ORNAMENTAL ...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back