Old Pocket Watch

Zee

Oct 12, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Infinium, Garrett Pro Pointer(x2), 30" Bazooka Prospector, Scuba Gear
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously I know it is a pocket watch. I found it on the bank of a river near the foundation of what was either a post office, railroad stop, or a lumber camp.(I'm not sure which one it actually is, I've researched the area and all 3 were within that specific area around 1900) Anyways, The lettering I can see on one side is "FS" On the opposite side it reads what I think is a single uppercase "B" with 5 6 below it. and also what I think is a serial number most likely "184791" Its a pretty heavey little watch. No gears or anything else, just what you see.
SAM_0399.JPGSAM_0400.JPGSAM_0407.JPGSAM_0408.JPGSAM_0409.JPGSAM_0410.JPG

I know absolutely nothing about watches so any info would be appreciated. Thank you for looking!

The watch was probably a better quality piece, the red stone is a saphire. The watch had a jeweled movement, it may have more saphires in there, they are used as bearings for the gears.

Upvote 0
The watch was probably a better quality piece, the red stone is a saphire. The watch had a jeweled movement, it may have more saphires in there, they are used as bearings for the gears.

I wasn't sure if you were joking around or not... But, your saying the tiny round shiny thing in the middle of where the bearing used to be, right above the serial number is a saphire?

Upvote 0
"Watches of any quality will be jeweled. A jewel in a mechanical watch is a small, shaped piece of a hard mineral. Ruby and sapphire are most common. Diamond, garnet, and glass are also seen. Starting in the early 20th century, synthetic jewels were almost universally used. Before that time, low grade natural jewels which were unsuitable as gemstones were used. In either case, the jewels have virtually no monetary value."

Looks like mine has 2 jewels left that I could find. lol

That is pretty cool, learned something new today! Thank you blademaker for the info :occasion14:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back