Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this at an old homesite. I have been unable to date the home yet, but my suspicion is that it was built just post CW and occupied only a short time. It reminds me of a hair pin, but it's much t0o big and heavy for that. The intricate part at the top is pewter, and the "pin" piece is iron. It's approximately 6 inches in length and about 2.5 inches at its widest. The "pin" is about 1/8 inch thick. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20151205_203931.jpg
    20151205_203931.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20151205_203922.jpg
    20151205_203922.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 96
I like the idea of a grave decor, however, the ones I have seen have a date or name/organization on them, like the example that you provided. Also, it was found within a few feet of the summer kitchen, so likely no one buried there.

Upvote 0
Nobody has to be buried there buddy.items travel when people pick them up.Ive seen all kinds,from plain to very fancy.it also could of been for a garden.

Upvote 0
My first thought was grave decor, and of course there doesn't have to be a grave where you found it, it could have got there in any number of ways.
That said, I think it's to small for grave use, and I really have no idea what it might be, except possible decoration in flower arrangements, which is simply my WAG.

Upvote 0
What does the trash look like? That's a good way to date a home site...

Upvote 0
So I am leaning toward Clock Pendulum weight. I found a few reference photos on an old Tnet post that look pretty close (ignore the red arrow, that was from the other post). The only thing I couldnt figure was the attachment. I then noticed the hook at the end of the iron part near the pewter. I am thinking the weight was either purposely or accidentally slid down to the other end. Or perhaps it was re-purposed as a grave decor??

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 119
  • attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20151207_190612_001_resized.jpg
    20151207_190612_001_resized.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
I think you got it, also on dating sites on the surface I look for colored and old glass, and pottery, rusted tin cans came latter.

Upvote 0
I forgot to add "remnants of red and adobe brick".

Upvote 0
I think you got it, also on dating sites on the surface I look for colored and old glass, and pottery, rusted tin cans came latter.

Ant, all indications are that this site is late-1800s based on a Hoyts Nickel Cologne bottle that I found, among hundreds of pieces of broken bottles, porcelain, and pottery under and within the stones of the summer kitchen. The date of the bottle is roughly 1890, however, that doesn't necessarily tell me when the house was built, only when it was vacated.

Upvote 0
I WAS GONNA SAY CLOCK PENDULUM BECAUSE OF THE WAY THE WEIGHT SLIDES BACK AND FORTH ON THE POLE .. NEEET FIND ...

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back