Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We headed to an old shoreline today that was once home to rental "bungalows" and bait shop. Theres nothing left but a few stubs that used to be dock poles. The cabins were in use from the early 20's to no later than 1954 when a government installation was put in above this shoreline. It's only accessible by boat and this is our second trip. I think it's gonna be a good spot.

First target in the scoop was the Merc in knee deep water. Next signal was the Whistle. We found a lot of other junk from the time period...silverware, bottles, boat parts etc. When it cools off we're going back and try to slow down and pick through trash.

I thought the whistle was the coolest find of the day and figured it was probably used by a boater. I looked on google images to see if I could date it and saw these ID'ed as civil war era. Either these are not civil war whistles or somebody was carrying around great grandpas whistle and lost it in the lake??

Finds Aug 22 2013.jpg MH Point Whistle.JPG

Upvote 4
Nive finds.. Congrats on the merc and that whistle is pretty cool find too..

Awesome find on the whistle!

Congrats on the neat finds. That'd be awesome if the whistle was that old. I found a 180? Large cent in a park that I thought had only been there since the late 1800's. It had a hole so maybe someone had it on their neck. Could be the same thing with your whistle.

Most of these pewter whistles are identified as "military whistles" and often sell for around $200. I personally think that they had other uses, but I will tell you I've only found pieces of one, and only seen on intact come up, which still had its iron ball inside to make the sound when blown.

Cheers,

Buck

Most of these pewter whistles are identified as "military whistles" and often sell for around $200. I personally think that they had other uses, but I will tell you I've only found pieces of one, and only seen on intact come up, which still had its iron ball inside to make the sound when blown.

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks Buck. I was gloating over the whistle all day while we were hunting and it just keeps getting better! It's just a steady tone without the ball but this whistle still sounds loud and clear.

Great Finds man!...Where excatly is that site located? :laughing7:....when you found the merc was it black from the water? I was always curious what silver does in these lakes

Great Finds man!...Where excatly is that site located? :laughing7:....when you found the merc was it black from the water? I was always curious what silver does in these lakes

Thanks Diggin! In this lake they do turn black. The silver I've dug from other lakes haven't been near as dark. So if you know which lake blackens coins you'll know where we were :laughing7:. Even after this dime was cleaned it's still quite dark. It doesn't show in the pic but it looks like a gunsmith blued it.

I'm not convinced by the CW claim, although they maybe contemporary. Anyway, I like it:icon_thumright:

I got a very similar whistle 3 days ago. Pretty cool find.

Never seen a whistle like that one. If it is not old then it should be! lol I can almost guarantee more nice finds from that spot.

P.S. Old items can often be found in "newer" areas. Last weekend while hunting Lake Somerville, I scooped up a .44 cal round ball complete with white patina.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back