Old Permission - Field 1 - Day 1 - Gothic Florin & Toy Cannon...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just over a week ago whilst coming back from a fishing trip, I noticed a field that looked empty (not drilled with crop). Cru'dad phoned the owner & the whole farm was too wet to drill, so we have until the Spring drilling to do their land.
This is a bonus as Cru'dad can only manage short trips at the moment but I can cycle to this one myself, if needed.
The field I decided to start on was a long shot field that we have done the least amount of work on. (virtually no gridding) It's not a target field & not a Site. However, it was dry enough to do & I felt with some effort we would do OK, as it's within the Roman Administrative border of the Town. (Although was farm land)
I did 2 hours 45mins & Cru'dad managed 2.5 hrs.

4 Scrappies
Maybe blank Lead Token
Scrap Silver bit
My best find - late 18th C Toy Cannon (been awhile since I've had one in such good condition)
Cru'dad - OTWBTTC - 1855 (MDCCCLV) Gothic Florin - I thought we may have had 1 of these but can't find any posts with one. Shaun7 (RIP) found one with us on a trip & I remarked in Dec 2008 that I had never had one in over 20 years! Not sure if Cru'dad will find a record of 1, but its definitely a Rare find for us.
PS. Cru'dad found no Record of a Gothic Florin, so it looks like our first.

Overall for a short hunt, I'm encouraged that we will get something good after several grids.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 26
Just over a week ago whilst coming back from a fishing trip, I noticed a field that looked empty (not drilled with crop). Cru'dad phoned the owner & the whole farm was too wet to drill, so we have until the Spring drilling to do their land.
This is a bonus as Cru'dad can only manage short trips at the moment but I can cycle to this one myself, if needed.
The field I decided to start on was a long shot field that we have done the least amount of work on. (virtually no gridding) It's not a target field & not a Site. However, it was dry enough to do & I felt with some effort we would do OK, as it's within the Roman Administrative border of the Town. (Although was farm land)

4 Scrappies
Maybe blank Lead Token
Scrap Silver bit
My best find - late 18th C Toy Cannon (been awhile since I've had one in such good condition)
Cru'dad - OTWBTTC - 1855 (MDCCCLV) Gothic Florin - I thought we may have had 1 of these but can't find any posts with one. Shaun7 (RIP) found one with us on a trip & I remarked in Dec 2008 that I had never had one in over 20 years! Not sure if Cru'dad will find a record of 1, but its definitely a Rare find for us.

Overall for a short hunt, I'm encouraged that we will get something good after several grids.

View attachment 2125769View attachment 2125770View attachment 2125771View attachment 2125772View attachment 2125773
Cru'dad was due for a rare find...great to see your posts!

Congratulations on the silver for being your first.
Love the cannon, they're very special.

Sweet finds. Looks like it will be a productive field. The toy cannon is really cool.

It looks like you guys went out with a *BANG*
That is one cool little cannon.
Congrats on some great finds Cru. πŸ‘
-MM-

Good finds, but I love the cannon! Seeing the touch hole goes all the way into the barrel I would say that it's not really a toy? Is the barrel bored all the way?

4 Scrappies
Maybe blank Lead Token
Scrap Silver bit

View attachment 2125769View attachment 2125770View attachment 2125771View attachment 2125772View attachment 2125773
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

Good finds, but I love the cannon! Seeing the touch hole goes all the way into the barrel I would say that it's not really a toy? Is the barrel bored all the way?
There are debates about who could afford this as a working toy. You would have been a lucky rich kid to play with it, many think it was a gentlemen's after dinner toy. They have been found by me & others with the barrel blown off where they over filled with black powder or got a stuck projectile.
They started in the late 16th C & continued until the early 1900s.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back