old part of a medal maybe? dont know also some other goodies i want to identify

R&C jensen

Dec 7, 2012
East coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab,garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Could somebody help me identify these items? if you see there is a target in the middle of it and it looks like it has silver lettering on it.
It is about the size of a jefferson nickel. Also i have another item i want to identify. it is about a half inch wide and about an inch long.
Thanks 2012-12-08_17-06-35_296.jpg2012-12-08_17-04-09_594.jpg2012-12-08_17-08-19_249.jpg2012-12-08_17-09-43_334.jpg???

In 1896, the United States won 7 silver medals in the summer Olympics. Perhaps this was part of a memento souvenir made 'after' the victories. One of the events was shooting, which might explain the target. Your first item is part of a vintage hair comb or barrette as Ken said. Neat finds :) Breezie

1896.jpg

Upvote 0
First item could be anything :dontknow: from a tie pin, clothes hook, hair or hat pin, ect, being incomplete as it is.

SS

Upvote 0
After downloading and lightning the pic of your first item, I can see it is a Victorian marcasite Stick Pin with the pin broken off. Jewelry made with marcasites was extremely popular during the Victorian times. Marcasite jewelry is made from pyrite (fool's gold), not marcasite because pyrite is similar to marcasite, but more stable and less brittle. Really nice find :) Breezie

VicStickPin.jpg

Upvote 0
thank you for identifying that item and the hairpin part for me. sorry for getting to you so late.
Thanks R&C jensen

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back