✅ SOLVED Old painting?

farmdump

Mar 5, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this painting at an antique store awhile back and was wondering if anyone could shed some more light on who this exactly is an when it was made? Thanks

image-882334376.jpg

image-1476273406.jpg

First: size? Second: is that a thin wood panel, canvas, parchment or vellum that the painting is on? Third: A couple of very high resolution photos of the edge where the paint meets the canvas and of the brush strokes. Fourth: a photo of the backside. Fifth: as asked before, is it signed? If so a picture of the signature.

With your low resolution photos, it looks like it could be a picture glued to a board and then a varnish put over it or a painting that may have been artificially aged. Best to see the photos zoomed in.

Upvote 0
Here are some high-def. pictures of the corners and a close up of the face.

image-1855427582.jpg

image-607189019.jpg

image-15480798.jpg

Hope this helps and there is no signature on the painting.

Upvote 0
we can't really help you, you need to take it to an expert in your area, there are just too many possibilities for us to tell you from a few pix.

Upvote 0
If you do decide to pursue this, you might try getting good pictures of the brooch the sitter is wearing as it looks like the badge of a chivalric institution; this might help you narrow down the country of origin.
Smithbrown

Upvote 0
I have seen other paintings like this in antique malls and flea markets. Very old looking no frame canvas painting, but with different old whimsical looking subjects. I will say from what I saw the brush strokes were very similar on the one I see of yours. These paintings I saw and looked at very closely. I saw evidence of fabricated aging stains and things that didn't add up, such as the canvas didn't look old, dingy and deteriorating as I thought old canvas should. The dirt all looked applied over a new canvas. I took these paintings I saw, as someone attempt to produce an old looking piece of art, leading me on like I had discovered a old lost or stolen masterpiece cut from it's frame. As for your find I can't say. How was this painting you have listed and described when you purchased it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back