Old Padlock and Key. - SOLVED

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for any information on this lock. I don't know how old it is and can't find anything about it on the internet. I found it today at an old farmhouse near Osawatomie, KS. The key was actually still in the lock when I found it. The Cent is there for comparison.

Attachments

• lock.jpg
    lock.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 375
Re: Old Padlock and Key.

It looks like it might be brass but can you tell what type of metal it appears to be? Are there any other markings on it? The "SPROCKET" just appears to be something someone etched on it.

Upvote 0

It is all brass and there are no other marks on it.
Here is the back of it.
Thanks for responding!

Attachments

• lock2.jpg
    lock2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 332
Upvote 0

I just noticed the key has a number on it.

Attachments

• key.jpg
    key.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 366
Upvote 0

It's made by Slaymaker-Barry Co. Should be 1 3/4" tall classed as a miniature lock worth around $30 maybe a little more with the working original key. Oh yeah, early 1900s.Nice find!!!!

Upvote 0

If Locks can be Beautiful, this one has my vote ;)

and the name is so cool too. In NZ we might call our mates something like "sprocket" or "grommet" or "dick...., sorry

It has to be the ultimate treasure, find the lock AND find the key

Mike

Upvote 0

Thanks Boogeyman! Where did you find the information?

Upvote 0

I collect & do a little locksmithing on the side. So I've got a lot of books & catalogs And according to the woman Too many buckets of "stuff" :D

Upvote 0

Are these locks rare? I couldn't find any examples of it online. I still haven't gotten it to open yet, the key turns inside but it stops when it contacts the inside mechanism. I am trying to free it up with a little penetrating oil.

Upvote 0

The "Sprocket" miniature padlock was made by the Slaymaker-Barry Co., c. 1894-1900, and is valued at $30 in the most recent edition (1996) of The Padlock Collector by Franklin M. Arnall.

Upvote 0
As always, Thanks PBK. If you ever need someone to leave your library to when you are gone let me know I and send you my name and address.

Upvote 0
OutBack Duo said:
As always, Thanks PBK. If you ever need someone to leave your library to when you are gone let me know I and send you my name and address.

Gee, OBD... are you sure you want BOTH books? :D

Glad I could help. That's a really nice little lock!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back