Jun 23, 2017
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So about a week ago I found an button:
IMG_0047[1].JPGIMG_0049[1].JPG

First of all I thought it was really old because I hunted an 1700's area (In Sweden). Then I saw an anchor on it and where not really sure if it was old. Then yesterday I looked up navy buttons on the internet and came across some buttons. Some of them were filled and the shank was on top of the fillling but my shank is deeper in the button.

So does anyone know how old this button is, rarity, value e.t.c.

Didn't find anything that matched my button more perfectly, it's weird cause theres so many navy buttons on that page.

Mine was found in Sweden and there were no Swedish buttons on that page...

Upvote 0
Didn't find anything that matched my button more perfectly, it's weird cause theres so many navy buttons on that page.

Mine was found in Sweden and there were no Swedish buttons on that page...
I think the Briitsh Navy was everywhere but if you didnt find it on that site, the possibility exists that its an old fashion button similar to this one made by Waterbury. https://www.etsy.com/listing/278155744/vintage-solid-brass-pitcher-vase-claw

But I would check to see if it matches anything used by the Swedish Navy or Merchant Marines. Does the Swedish Navy use a fouled anchor? I dont have any knowlege of the Swedish Navy. It appears in your photo that a shank is soldered to a one piece button, so I dont think your button was made by Waterbury but the design is similar..

button anchor.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could be right but it looks a lot like the Napoleonic Navy Button, though it's a bit crusty and hard to be sure. (c.1800-1811 Firmin & Co)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like a British Merchant Navy but the site doesnt show the backs

Upvote 0
Look at the bottom of this page.
Navy buttons

(Same buttons, Different page, Different grouping)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't find anything there either...

Upvote 0
Im certainly not up on British buttons but it seems they all have an anchor ring of some kind, including the Waterbury fashion design. The OPs button does not, or its not visible in the photo.

Upvote 0
Well I'm sorry I couldn't help, that's the best I could come up with, good luck.

Upvote 0
Well I'm sorry I couldn't help, that's the best I could come up with, good luck.

Yea it seems to match closest with the British buttons. I havent searched them all, maybe there is one without an eye. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back