Whites Spectrum XLT

Attachments

• eagle.JPG
    eagle.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 483
  • eagle1.JPG
    eagle1.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 440
It looks to be one half of an 1830 officer's sword belt buckle. Get on the web and go to civil war naval buckles. Then go to landandseacollection.com. They show your buckle, minus the stack of cannon balls at the bottom. Other than that its a dead ringer. Its missing the latch mechanism which would have filled the hallow back side, and, ofcourse, the latch itself which would have been on the other end of the belt. I found a buckle of the same design, but was lucky enough to find the latch mechanism in the same hole.

Upvote 0
I believe this came off a WW1 style Navy officer sword belt buckle and would have the hook on the buckle fastening to a keeper on the other side of the belt.

Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
This is half of a stamped brass Tongue and Wreath buckle.Most likely never in use as a sword belt buckle.Yours is missing the belt loop,and the wreath portion :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
here is a early 1900's buckle that I thought would be a close match, but there is some differences.

Bill

Attachments

• WW1 Navy sword buckle.jpg
    WW1 Navy sword buckle.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 437
Upvote 0
nova treasure said:
here is a early 1900's buckle that I thought would be a close match, but there is some differences.

Bill

Yours Nova,is very close,the one in question is somewhat unique.Generally the false type fall into the period you quoted and are seldom of stamped,or rolled brass construction. I beleive this one may be fairly old,quite possibly to Pre_date the C.W.
I will look when I get near my reference

Upvote 0
kuger said:
nova treasure said:

Bill

Yours Nova,is very close,the one in question is somewhat unique.Generally the false type fall into the period you quoted and are seldom of stamped,or rolled brass construction. I beleive this one may be fairly old,quite possibly to Pre_date the C.W.
I will look when I get near my reference

Great, the older the better. :thumbsup:, Nova Treasure

Upvote 0
I have not found an exact match,but it has a striking resemblance to the 1872 U.S. Revenue Service buckle.The example I am reffering to is Fig 73 pg 79 of Kerksis' book.The example has some differences with the character,is cast brass,and is a true two piece.Every False two piece which yours seems to be are post war(C.W.)but yours design does have me baffled :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back