image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 91
What you found is the handle of pewter utensil from the late 1700's to around 1800, these pewter utensil handles are very common finds at colonial-very early 1800's sites. I always wonder why I never find the whole spoon but only the handle, I usume that they throw out only the handle if it breaks because they figure that the rest of the spoon is still usable or fixable, or it just could be that the handle is the most fragile and breaks first. The design is confusing. I first wondered if the design thing on the front is a hallmark or maker's mark, but makers almost never but hallmarks on the front of the spoon, almost always on the bottom and most commonly towards the middle of the spoon. That leads me to think that it is some sort of simple design, it looks very plain and sort of off-center but I think that that is not very uncommon for for some pewter utensils from that time period. It still could be a hallmark or maker's mark but it is unlikely, does it have any letters or words, if so than it is probably more likely to be a maker's mark. If it has words what are they, knowing what it says if there is anything could help ID it. The "X" mark on the bottom of the spoon is not any hallmark or makers more, just some damage to the utensil. Anyways, I hope I helped.

23e586.jpg

Coinman123,

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks coinman (as usual)for the information/insight. I guess my next step will be looking for a resource that lists American colonial pewter makers marks ( if that's what the symbol looking mark is). The mark is very faded but it looks as if it could be a scallop shell, a bundle of wheat or who knows what, the letters are unfortunately pretty indistinguishable. Nice to know that you have found similar handles and that it is as old as it is.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back