Old large iron staple... What is it for?!

Moosemessier

Greenie
Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image-3342182575.jpg
    image-3342182575.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
You'll need to post a pic if you want people to identify it. Also need info on its size.

Upvote 0
It could be what is called a "log dog."

Used to attach two logs together for floating down a river, or for pulling the logs out of the woods with mules or horses.

Upvote 0
It could be what is called a "log dog." Used to attach two logs together for floating down a river, or for pulling the logs out of the woods with mules or horses.

Clovis- that is brilliant. No way I would have known that. What age would you guess?

Upvote 0
I dont think the ends were necessarily sharp.ends of rounded metals can simply corrode that way.It is too thin to have been used for anything heavy duty.What I'm left with as my guess is it could be dang near anything from a number of eras.:dontknow:
cheers

Upvote 0
Looks like the right size to be a part of a croaky set.Don't know for sure. Wade

Hey- def too small on the vert for croquet but there would be no reason for that to be there. No houses around ( i think) for a distance

Upvote 0
I dont think the ends were necessarily sharp.ends of rounded metals can simply corrode that way.It is too thin to have been used for anything heavy duty.What I'm left with as my guess is it could be dang near anything from a number of eras.:dontknow: cheers

Goos point but I have noticed the prongs have been bent at a slight angle and the top is concave leading me to believe it was hammered in. The metal is strong and I cannot bend even with significant erosion. Maybe a staple to keep a snare trap in the ground or a fence pin?

Upvote 0
In the mines we call them timber dogs.

They give you something to hold onto and hold timber sets in place while you are shoring up bad ground. once the timber set was in place and solid you would pull them.

i have seen old loggers use them for mule logging and they would run there drag chains through them.

They can be any place from 8 inches to 8 foot long.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ngPRyp7gL._SX300_.jpg
Log Dogs | DIY Timber Frame

They are also used on wood bridges.

And they are still being made.
Log Dog - Lee Valley Tools

Upvote 0
In the mines we call them timber dogs. They give you something to hold onto and hold timber sets in place while you are shoring up bad ground. once the timber set was in place and solid you would pull them. i have seen old loggers use them for mule logging and they would run there drag chains through them. They can be any place from 8 inches to 8 foot long. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ngPRyp7gL._SX300_.jpg Log Dogs | DIY Timber Frame They are also used on wood bridges. And they are still being made. Log Dog - Lee Valley Tools

You did it miner! Thank you much. There were copper mines here 100+ years ago. Think that is 100 years old?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back