cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All. I found these locks in an old garbage pit a few days ago.

At first glance they were very toasty and I nearly re-trashed 'em but decided to take a closer look later...after some light cleaning they appear to be well made and maybe older than I first thought.

I am no lock expert but I am thinking that since most iron evaporates here in FL maybe these are older locks that were preserved among the garbage.

Many thanks for any info and Good Luck out there. C9

Attachments

• 1 TV Trash Pit Locks1.jpg
    1 TV Trash Pit Locks1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 2 TV Trash Pit Locks2.jpg
    2 TV Trash Pit Locks2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
Your two padlocks are referred to as "tinnies". Light weight locks punched out of thin sheets of metal. Wide range of manufacturing dates anywhere from 1890's - 1930's were really the hayday. However some used into the 50's. From pic, the one in the lower right looks like to me a lower case e in a circle. If that is what it looks like to you....it's an Eagle Lock Co padlock.

Upvote 0
what he said but just picture me saying it Cool finds

Upvote 0
Nothing to lose at this point, try soaking them in apple cider vinegar for a couple of days, it will remove ALOT of the rust, and you'll be able to see things a lot better.

Upvote 0
I needed that info apple cider vinager Thanks

Upvote 0
Tommy, the vinegar thing I learned on TreasureNet in fact, I tried it the first time on an old hatchet head I found, that at first thought was a large rusted lump of something. I then noticed a curved edge on it, so....knocked off excess rust, then soaked it in the vinegar for a couple of days, wire brushed it, soaked it again, then another wire brushing. It was looking good. One extra thing though that was pointed out, if the item is porous, such as iron, it should then be soaked in a baking soda water mix, reason being, that the acid in the vinegar may or will corrode from within, and the baking soda will leach out or neutralize the acid. I did take it one step further and did an electrolysis on it, then sprayed it with a sealant. Looks good with nice colours. I have done that with some locks as well. One in fact I had for years, very rusted, after soaking, for the first time I could see "SP Co" for the Southern Pacific RR. Very cool.

Upvote 0
I received a "Like" from the Cannonball Guy, so I must be doing something kind of right in my post. To me, he does seem to be a "go to" guy for relics. So there you go Tommy, like I began, soak in vinegar................

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back