Old iron chain

littleton

Feb 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5
I found a 15" length of old rusted iron chain in south GA. The links are double links so to speak, in other words each link is two oval links connected to the next two oval links, etc. Very worn connections. It has a "T" handle on the end of it about 3.5" wide (very comfortable to the hand). A friend of mine says it is an old chain that was used for carrying cotton bales but I have searched the internet and can't find any chain or info. that matches this. It definately looks the age of the old south cotton days. I would post a pic. but I don't know how to do that. Thanks for any help or info. ~

Upvote 0
I am unable to post a pictrure also,but I think I have the same chain that you're describing.

I found mine while digging a ditch in the pasture field. My farm is an old dairy farm so I assumed the chain had something to do with animals.

Cotton was grown quite extensively at one time about 25 miles to the west of my farm,maybe the chain is related to cotton harvesting instead of animals. Hope someone can identify it from your description.

hasbeen

It sounds like a dog chain. I have one hanging in my shop that I used to walk my labrador with.

Thank you for your reply Lumbercamp but it's definately not a dog chain, the links are about two inches long and ainch and a quarter wide. I wish I knew how to post a pic. I can scan a picture and email it to anyone who would be willing to post it for me. I found the chain under a huge oak tree that boarders a old farm field. Actually I think theres still some more of the chain down in there stuck under a root. it is a very uniqe piece of chain. - Thanks

Littleton:
Posting Pics is pretty simple, go to imageshack.com its free, down load image (click on the resize image to forums) up at the top click on my images,click on pic, to the right there is a bunch of things you can do, click on get code for forum, write down the secound code (intire code) go back to forum and click on the camera with out the red line (insert image) you will get this on page [/img inbetween the ][ enter code in its intirety, click on preview and see if it work, then click post, if you need some more help let me know ;D

Here is the link to [url=http://www.imageshack.us]http://www.imageshack.us[/url]

King-John, my computer skills are poor at best. To download an image do I have to have a camera or photo? I only have a scanner ... and a chain. Thanks

littleton said:
King-John, my computer skills are poor at best. To download an image do I have to have a camera or photo? I only have a scanner ... and a chain. Thanks
Carefully lay it on the glass (carefull not to scratch glass) and scan it, upload Pic to imageshack

See if this works! ;D

Attachments

• loldchain2.jpg
    loldchain2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 467
Good Job Littleton ;D You got the Pic posted
Now you need to work on the resizing of your Pics ;D

Thanks K-J, I owe it to you ! I'll definately work on that resizing! ;D Now if someone could tell me what it was used for it would be great. I plan on going back and getting the rest of the chain when I get a chance. No telling whats on the other end of it :o

Might not be strong enough to carry cotton bails. Nice none the less. I have a watch chain with links like that.

Attachments

• Resize.jpg
    Resize.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 393
That "T" shaped thing on the end...it's for making a connection. The "T" can be pushed through an iron ring or large link on the end of a chain, or on a harness or implement, and then when the chain is pulled, the "T" part becomes horizontal and doesn't let the chain pull out of the ring. I have some of these from mule-drawn equipment.

I'm in south Georgia too...whereabouts are ya?

Hello Cheese, actually I found this on a piece of property that was passed to me through my family, it is in Crawfordville, Ga (probably considered more mid Ga). Crawfordville BTW is the home of Alexander stephens - "Vice President of the Confederacy" and is a town which basically seems to be frozen in time. I found the chain while peeing behind an oak tree and have never gone over the property with a detector....yet!

The police used to use a chain similar to that that they used as a pusuader or come along for stubborn prisoners. You would wrap it around their wrists and and hook it through the end of the chain and then tightened it up with the T-handle.

Here is a pic

Attachments

• Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 958
  • Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 443
  • Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    Clejuso_Chain_CG.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 449

Top Member Reactions