RedCardHack

Oct 2, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found This Today While At A 1800's House, Looks like part of a stirrup...maybe? It appears to be bronze or brass.

20121219_192059.jpg20121219_192147.jpg20121219_192230.jpg

Yep,and a real nice one.Always conjures up wild images to see one broke and imagine what took place!

Upvote 0
How tall is it and what is your best guess as to how wide it was at the widest point and at the very bottom?

Upvote 0
Skeeter, it is 5-1/4" Long from top to the broken edge and 4-1/2" wide when I trace it out, I am almost certain it is a stirrup now that I traced it out and reversed it to compensate for the broken side.

20121219_211549.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reason I was asking for the size, is my mom has a stirrup collection. She has a single stirrup with the exact pattern as yours. It's really small tho, about 3 inches wide at the widest part (It's at my folks house so I can't get a precise measurement). It was originally from a side saddle. I thought maybe yours is too, but it is to large. Yours was built for a man!

Upvote 0
Skeeter, it is 5-1/4" Long from top to the broken edge and 4-1/2" wide when I trace it out, I am almost certain it is a stirrup now that I traced it out and reversed it to compensate for the broken side.

View attachment 714609

:laughing7: I wouldnt lie to ya!!!

I have one similar,and Ironman dug one ...similar with me last week...but the piece down at the base of the arm and the base plate is not on ours.It dates to at least the 1850's

Would love to see yours skeetrd

Upvote 0
I've dug a fragment of the same design several years ago. Wonder if anyone has ever dug a whole one of that style...

Upvote 0
Like kuger said, I dug one last week that is similar to yours. I enclosed pics. of it and an iron one I also dug. I also threw in a pic of another brass one I found in S.C. many years ago. The two I dug last week are 1850's and the other was dug out of a colonial site. Hope this helps you!!

IM

Attachments

• IMG_0163.JPG
    IMG_0163.JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 131
  • stirrups.JPG
    stirrups.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 138
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 139
Last edited: