• 8248B679-4446-4A51-8E22-59D99B836F00.jpeg
    8248B679-4446-4A51-8E22-59D99B836F00.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 871775A1-B09C-448B-B5A2-5FC21EA0334F.jpeg
    871775A1-B09C-448B-B5A2-5FC21EA0334F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
Upvote 6
nice shoe,

I looks like the nails were clipped off; from what I think I see in the last image. I could be wrong what I think is the nail parts from the image.

Nice find.

I pick up horseshoes all I find.
Over the years I have picked up some nice shoes of both horse and mules. Most of my larger are Perchon shoes. back in the early 70s A few of the neighbor farmers told me that they had Perchons for tilling the farms tractors and to show. I guess a number of other farmers did too. the Perchons shoes are crazy large, I find 99% of the horseshoes when relic hunting fields.

Hi all. I found this old horse shoe whilst metal detecting in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. It’s fairly big (see size I’m pics) and only has 6 nail homes. I am hoping to get it dated if at all possible.
You, my boy, have found the true symbol of Luck,
a horseshoe...!
Good Luck and
Happy Hunting to you!

Hi all. I found this old horse shoe whilst metal detecting in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire. It’s fairly big (see size I’m pics) and only has 6 nail homes. I am hoping to get it dated if at all possible.
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS over to TODAY'S FINDS! for more exposure.

tn_notice.gif
NOTE: Forum NEW MEMBER INSTRODUCTIONS Description: New to TreasureNet? Introduce yourself to our community here! Welcome aboard and Happy Hunting!

teacher.gif
I pulled this from another TN thread - this is just one of the replies in the thread...

TomPA;2697594 said:
The information that was provided was found in the book: Artifacts of Colonial America by Ivor Noel Hume. (Don't shoot the messenger-call the author!) As noted, dating horseshoes is difficult at best. As with any hand-made item, the maker has the liberty to make it as he/she wishes. A current gunmaker could easily produce a flintlock rifle with all the early fixtures, but it obviously would not be old. Same thing with an ancient spear/arrow point. All one can do is go with the professional studies that have been documented and make your best guess.
tn_horse_shoes.jpg

Vldetecting;5744663 said:
I've seen many people asking about how to date horseshoes. Many say it is nearly impossible, but I say it's not. So I thought about sharing a little "guide" on how to date horseshoes.

tn_horseshoes_01.jpg
tn_horseshoes_02.jpg

Nice!!! Congrats!!!

kayh891 WELCOME to Treasurenet :) Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back