old homestead

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
there is an old house i detect at near my house. i stopped by today in the drizzle to try my luck. found a 1943 nickel in pretty bad shape. about 5 feet away i got a pretty solid hit and pulled a1944-d mercury dime up. a couple of feet from there i got another beep and pulled up a 1942 mercury. all in about 20 minutes. of course at this point my batteries started to give out. i'll be going back for sure

Upvote 0
Dgaughan, congrats on the silver and welcome to the board!!, get some pics up of the silver, infact get some pics of all the silver and the large piece of clad you've found at that place

Here is my Newb question... are 1940's nickels Silver or what.... I found a 1940 nickel in my Grandparents yard detecting over christmas. Also found a 1905 Barber quarter without a metal detector (found in a trash dump while bottle digging) Anyone have a value for the barber.

Welcome to the forum Bladeii, I saw the nickle Dg found and it's not silver. In fact it almost looked rusty, had a strange color to it. I don't know what type of metal there struck from but it wont take long for someone here to answer your question.
kenb

Bladeii said:
Here is my Newb question... are 1940's nickels Silver or what.... I found a 1940 nickel in my Grandparents yard detecting over christmas. Also found a 1905 Barber quarter without a metal detector (found in a trash dump while bottle digging) Anyone have a value for the barber.

1943 nickels were the only silver ones as far as I know. If you're unsure, look at the back of it. If there's a mint mark above the Monticello (even for Philadelphia on these ones) then it's silver. As far as the Barber, it all depends on what condition it's in. I'd reccommend getting The Red Book by R.S. Yeomen at just about any bookstore and checking it out, that's about the most accurate book I know of for grading, pricing, etc.

1942 to 1945 are 35% Silver. all except the 1942 D & some 42 Philadelphia mints. TrpinBils is RIGHT on the MINT MARK above Monticello..............? there are some 44's without the mintmark, but they are COUNTERFEIT............. any 43 or 45 without a mintmark (there are some) is an ERROR COIN

your right about the 42 D , i have a complete set of silver war nickels they are 42P 42S 43P 43D 43S 44P 44D 44S 45P 45D 45S all is sealed. i tryed to send pic. but too large.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back