Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The item on the right (the coin on the left is a large cent for size comparison). Not sure which era of occupation this would have been from, but this homestead has produced coins from the late 1700s through the 1860s and there was an encampment here at least twice by Confederate troops. There is no pattern or anything on the back and I believe it to be copper. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC05148.JPG
    DSC05148.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
An accoutrement of some kind. Off a belt or harness maybe :dontknow:. It does look like a "one-off" engraved piece. I doubt we'll ever find out for sure what it is, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking it dates from the time frame you mention.

Upvote 0
That's sort of what I assumed, but I was hoping it was maybe something off of the butt of a rifle maybe. I hammered this location last weekend and can't believe I missed it!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
that was quite a read! Looks like saddle tack is the general consensus!

I remember that thread very well. It blows my mind that nobody can find a picture of this item ON something. All of the things we suggested: horse tack, saddle, ID tags, rifle stock, etc... These things still exist. I was at an auction the other day that had an early 1800's saddle and some pre civil war rifles. You know what I did before I even registered? I looked for this dang thing on the saddle and rifles. It stands to reason that if we find as many as we do, there HAS to be some that exist in their original form and function.

When that object is found, I believe it will be on a saddle. 8-)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah man I would think somebody would be able to track it down. I've been on here for 10 years now and don't believe I've seen that thread before. Never realized how many people were finding those. I see you're in Greensburg, by the way. I grew up in Kittanning up in Armstrong County....small world!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back