Old Homesite finds

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Didn't have much time to spend, but I found a 1943 nickel and I think a 195-something penny(wheat?). I can't see anything on the back.The site was extremely muddy, lots of trees (roots). Digging was a challenge. The house burned down a long time ago, there's nothing left but the foundation. I'm pretty sure it's 50 years old or more. I also found some spent shotgun shells (fairly recent) and an old pistol shell (spent). Not sure of the caliber yet. Pulled up on old soda pop bottle digging up one of the targets, pretty cool. Sorry I don't have pics, my digital camera's needs to be repaired.

:)

Upvote 0
The Silver Nickle's a Cool Find, Congrats

? is it a P - D - or - S ?

If it's a "P" check to see if it's a 3 over 2 or Double Eye

The Nickel is a "P"

Where do I look for the other numbers? What do they mean? Is P the most common?

Thanks,

tb

The letters are mint marks. Where the coin was made. It would be located on the back above the dome. Nice finds! HH

Re: The Nickel is a "P"

tb said:
Where do I look for the other numbers?? What do they mean? Is P the most common?

Thanks,

tb
On the 3 over 2 , look at the Date & see if 194"3" was stamped over 194"2". at the Philadelphia Mint, they supposedly used the same DIE at the beginning of 1943, with minor adjustments in it, to change the date.

? as far as Most Common, would depend on where you Live.

East Coast "P"? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? West Coast "S"? ? ? ? ? ? Central? ?"D"

and The Large MintMark above the Dome is only on the Silver Nickels

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back