Old Grove

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hi everyone, Got out last night for a few hrs at a old picnic grove. Last year at this time I discovered a old grove. Untouched by a detector as far as I could tell. There was very little silver. About 5 or 6 pieces. But we found about 100 Indians between me and my brother. I found most of them. We also found over 50 v nickels 50 buffaloes tons of Wheaties a small handful of old foreign coins. 3 gold rings. Also one of the v nickles I found was a rare 1885. Found some tokens and lots of neat relics. The only silver coins to come up were barber dimes just 2 or 3. One Roosevelt and a rare Canadian dime from the late 1800's.

It was one of the best places I ever detected. I found alot of marbles clay one's and this spot just never seems to be cleared out. Just iron and deep signals are left. It is about 100yards long and 50 yards wide. It's hidden in a neighborhood park that no one can visually see. Giant tree's all spaced out.

Last night when we arrived the cops were there at the hoop courts telling some guy he can't ride dirt bikes in the park. He started to flag me down as I was going over the hill to detect. He came up to me showed me his badge and said there are 2 A.K 47's lost somewere around here. He wanted me to call him if I had found them. This is a rough neighborhood and you have to be careful while up there. Since I'm younge 24 and Italian I can venture into the hood without being bothered. Black people like Italians. I think this is why the finds were there.

Not trying to start any racism but white people don't venture up this way unless they need drugs. And I haven't seen to many black people in this hobby. To tell you the truth I haven't seen any yet. I'm not racist and don't care what color you are. I just noticed it seemed to be a white sport mostly.

Hope people don't misunderstand me. Good finds are in the bad neighborhoods if you got the guts or fire power to back you up. Believe it or not there are still good people in these area's amongst the crud.

Hope this thread doesn't get me into any trouble. Your bad area's in town have treasure. Trust me everyone I have been to them and they have given up old coins like finding clad in a new park.

Besides all my opinions I manged 2 wheat's and one 1929 buffalo. I also found this small thing that I think was a pin at one time. It says Ohio Automobile Operators Association. I knew it would be slow but I just keep hitting it every 6 months. It always gives up a few coins. My brother got a 1901 Indian.

Good Luck Everyone Jeremy

Attachments

• The old grove.jpg
    The old grove.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 504
Upvote 0
I know what your saying Jeremy. There are several spots I what to hunt, but being blond and 6'3" I kinda stand out anyplace I hunt.
~Kansas~

Sounds like a great site. WOW, nice first haul, and not bad later finds.

Keep @ it and HH!!

Congrats to you and your brother on such a good haul ! Keep on digging and keep us informed.

Huntin' 59er

jer,
know what you mean by good people in bad areas. my family is truly American with a variety of blood-lines that a stray dog would be ashamed of. But because there are so many branches to our tree, we can usually find some connection with any area we visit. (Except there are no Eskimos as far as I know)absolutely no problems from this side of the fence about any comments you made. MDing does seem to attract more Caucasions because most minorities are working too hard to have an expensive time consuming habit.
My son married a beautiful young lady who is Cuban/African and each of them works 40+ hours a week. When I go to Atlanta to visit and try to get them to go out they humor an old man but wouldn't do it on their own.
jim

hey jer..if you dont mind me askin, how did you find the picnic grove?did you just spot it and if so how did you recognize it? sounds like a great spot.

Good finds,good story jer! Keep it up,HH

Thanks guys, Glad you all understand what I am saying and it wasn't offending anyone. I was just trying to make a point that there is good treasure in those bad area's. This spot was like a dream come true guys. I was hunting this old park probably built around 1900. I could never get any history up on it. I was trudging through the park woods. There's a top and bottom to this park. I was on the bottom. I started finding some coins and when I got to the top of this hill I found this beautiful large picnic grove play area. I was then on the upper half of the park. This is the part were the neighborhood surrounds it.

I started to hunt it and it was loaded with trash. I went to the spot every time I went to this park until one day I popped a war nickle out. About 15 minutes later my brother found 2 Indians in one hole. We just started digging everything and coins were coming up left and right. Some days you could find 5 to 10 Indians in one outing. These spots just don't exist right. No they are really out there. ?We found a few rare date Indians 73 2 78's a few 79's and one 69 I found in a hole with a shield nickle.

This spot makes me wonder what may be really deep under the soil that my stock coil just can't reach. I have got pennies in the 7 to 9 inch range and a few tokens the size of a quarter in the 10 to 12 inch range. But a larger coil for this spot would be ideal. ?

Very little silver at the site. For the amount of Indians and nickles we were finding there should have been way more silver. It could have been found and cherry picked long ago. The person who hunted it just didn't know what was under all that trash. Or maybe they just didn't give the kids much silver way back then.

Answering hollowpointreds question. There easy to spot for the most part. All the one's I have found were near parks or in them. ?Look for a nice grassy open area could be hidden and you will see very large tree's spaced out. To show the age of the site and also to provide that nice shade for it. This one is the largest I have ever seen. They usually are about 50 ft wide by 50 ft. A few giant tree's and a nice flat piece of grassy land.

There really good places to hunt. There are groves out there even if they have a new picnic table around them and appear new chances are they are old. They are generally trashy sites and stuff gets left behind at these spots. Patience at these spots are key. Rework them because chances are they haven't seen a detector in 15 to 20 yrs. You can still put a few goodies in your pouch left behind. Due to newer technology and the years it has gone not hit are in your favor. People go to places now and say to themselves forget even getting out of the car for that grove. It goes on for years and the site renew's itself.

Keep up the search. There was times were I was skeptic about sites still being left out there but this place answered my question. There out there you just never know when your gonna stumble across it.

hH Jeremy

Jeremy that is a great post and I do hope no one is offended by it. Great finds and thanks for the detail on the site. I do believe these sites exist I just wish i could find them in good old FortLauderdale. I have a few spots I would go and like you said they are not in a great part of town but thats Ok. I would go during the day when most of the trouble makers are away. I know all the city commisioners here and My wife has been a faithful servant for 20 years with them so I just need to go do it.

GIGI . You didnt offend anyone and Jim has some thick skin so I wouldnt worry to much and your point is well taken and thanks for speakin up.

So whats everyone think? Would I stand out. ;D HH

Jermey,
Great details in your post. I also have the DFX and love the old parks and city lots. Care to share your program with a fellow DFX'er? What ever your using is working great, I wish I was close enough to get a few tips from you. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks all. Sure I could send a few secrets your way Joe.

TARGET VOLUME 48-63 63
AUDIO THRESHOLD 0-42 10
TONE 0-255 173
AUDIO DISC. ON/OFF ON
SILENT SEARCH ON/OFF OFF
MIXED-MODE ON/OFF OFF
AC SENSITIVITY 1-85 81
DC SENSITIVITY 1-60 45
BACKLITE 0-6 0
VIEWING ANGLE 1-50 25
RATCHET PINPOINT ON/OFF OFF
S.A.T. SPED 0-10 10
TONE ID ON/OFF ON
V.C.O. ON/OFF ON
MODULATION ON/OFF OFF
AUTOTRAC ON/OFF ON
TRACK VIEW ON/OFF OFF
AUTOTRAC SPEED 1-20 8
AUTOTRAC OFFSET -10 +20 0
TRACK INHIBIT ON/OFF ON
COARSE G.E.B. 0-255 Auto
FINE G.E.B. 0-255 Auto
DISC. EDIT -95-+95 Accept -40 to +95
BLOCK EDIT -95-+95 Reject -95 to -41
LEARN ACCEPT ON/OFF OFF
LEARN REJECT ON/OFF OFF
RECOVERY SPEED 1-40 28
BOTTLECAP REJECT 1-20 1
HOT ROCK REJECT 0-20 10
SWEEP SPEED 1-20 7
GROUND FILTERING 2-6 4
VISUAL DISC. ON/OFF OFF
ICONS ON/OFF OFF
V.D.I.SENSITIVITY 0-99 85
DC PHASE ON/OFF OFF
GRAPH AVERAGING ON/OFF ON
GRAPH ACCUMULATE ON/OFF ON
FADE RATE 1-14 11
PREAMP GAIN 1-4 4
2 FREQUENCY (BEST DATA) ON/OFF-ON
2 FREQUENCY (CORRELATE) ON/OFF-OFF
VDI NORMALIZED ON/OFF ON
1 FREQUENCY (3kHz) ON/OFF OFF
1 FREQUENCY (15khz) ON/OFF OFF

Make these changes to the eeprom high pro program that is on the machine. If it is stable crank the a.c sens up to 85. Start out with the modulation on until you get used to it. Then shut it off. It will help those deeper targets chirp in more. Disc edit and block edit are very important in achieving sensitivity and depth. For the most depth out of the unit you would set it up to accept if I can recall -80 to plus 95. I think that is as low as it goes. I haven't checked in awhile. I think it is to unstable that way. In my grounds at least. Soil conditions play a big factor in setting this unit up.

Recovery speed at 28 is important and playing with the sweep speeds is very helpful. Start at 11 then 7 then 3 then 1. This unit can do alot. Change those settings as you work out a site.

There is alot more I can cover on this. I wanted to give you some and hope you can understand it and it's not to overwhelming. Always double ground balance the unit after you have made an adjustment in the field. Also after awhile these settings like to store up in the unit. You'll want to take the unit outside and pull the battery out of it while it is on. Perfectly safe for the unit. It resets the processor in it so nothing is stored up.

Hope this helps. That's what I am here for. I have found my share of treasure now I am more into helping others get to that point.

Good Luck Need help just shoot.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back