Old Grindstone In Family Creek

brschroeder81

Aug 20, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Northern Wisconsin and pulled this out of my grandparents stream that runs behind their house last weekend. They've owned the land for 50 years and prior to that it was all undeveloped. The town they're located in started out as a logging community in the mid 1800's. We've had a lot of heavy rain this Spring and think that's how it was unearthed. I reached out to our local historical society to find out if they know of any other stones being discovered in the area. What I'm really curious to find out is approximately how old it might be. Does this style look familiar to anyone that they might be able to shed some light on? Thank You!

Attachments

• Grinding Wheel.jpg
    Grinding Wheel.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 131
tn_md.gif
1st - Noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Wisconsin for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
tn_moved_over.gif
2nd - I moved this from Today's Finds! over to Our Discoveries > What Is It? for more exposure...

Upvote 0
What are the measurements across the stone. If it's big enough it could a roller for a grist mill.

Upvote 0
Just about every old farm and homestead had a grinding wheel.

Upvote 0
.....Nice recovery ! I notice the concentric wear marks on the flats .... same on the other side ?
All dimensions please .... we WANT to help !
....and , Welcome from Southern California.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would start with the date you posted, most any logging camp or logging towns needed and had to have grinding rocks . and yes farm steads would have had them . i guess what im trying to say is you find alot of them at old estate sales but rarely busted into ones . on the other hand a bunch of drunk loggers on pay day i can see alot of busted stuff.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
st.jpg
Here's a new shot of the stone, showing the center part. This originally broke up when I picked it up. It looks like maybe they were making the stone and maybe it broke during the process. That's why there's still rock in the middle? It's strange, i don't know. It's about 6" to center so this must have been between 12" - 14", and this section right here weights 8lbs 5 oz. There does appear to be the concentric circles on the back, but they're very faded. That was the part that was laying in the sand. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 0
View attachment 1486113
Here's a new shot of the stone, showing the center part. This originally broke up when I picked it up. It looks like maybe they were making the stone and maybe it broke during the process. That's why there's still rock in the middle? It's strange, i don't know. It's about 6" to center so this must have been between 12" - 14", and this section right here weights 8lbs 5 oz. There does appear to be the concentric circles on the back, but they're very faded. That was the part that was laying in the sand. Thanks for looking!

....Question ; When looking across the flats of the stone , do you see a slight cupping or concave surface toward the "hub" ?
If so it might have been prepared as a "runner stone"(the driven stone) in a grist mill and not a sharpening stone .
In any case it was hand formed and I bet you can feel the warmth (and ire) of the artist !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is the center that you said was rock, could part of it be iron?

You may know this, but if the creek has or gets fast moving water the stone could have moved a long way! So, if your looking for where it might have come from, it could be upstream.

I've seen sandstone blocks, about 2ft by 4 ft maybe a foot and a half thick, move 100 yards or so over about a year. Water can get some power!!! We placed them to use as stepping blocks to get across the creek. The water has pretty much taken them away by now! And they were set by machine!! You can't lift one! Water has serious power at times!! I would have never believed that small creek got that much water to move those.

Anyhow, just a thought....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
An old axe grinning wheel that broke? Almost every farm had one before they had electricity.

Attachments

• 601d4d46e42bcf514803e58254fef26d.jpg
    601d4d46e42bcf514803e58254fef26d.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 47
Upvote 0
sweet find my pawpaw has a full one

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back