(Old?) Gold ring with several stamps, I need help!

Alida

Tenderfoot
Oct 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/B][/B][/B][/B] IMG_9198.JPG(Norway)
I just got my first metal detector and I went out to try it and I found this ring on my secong hunt!
It was just in the surface and it had another smaller ring inside (Haven't been able to identify the metal of the other ring yet). One of the stamps says 14K, so apparently it is gold. But I can't seem to make much out of the other stamps. There is a capital letter T inside a flower, next is the number 65, then I think it is the number 5 on top of a line and underneath the letter M and last capital letters S.E (or S.F)
It would be so cool if anyone could help! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_9196.JPG
    IMG_9196.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 886
Last edited:
Those are called Hallmarks. Check out this website. They have multiple meanings. I mess with old pocket watches and some have these marks.

Smitty

Upvote 0
I've been studying Hallmarks all day, but I can't seem to find any similar to these. The T and the 5/M really got me scratching my head! ;-)

Upvote 0
I spent some time on this and found nothing on your hallmarks. Did you find this ring in the US?

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thank you so much for the effort anyway, Matt! :-) I found the ring not so far from my house here in Norway. Im starting to think the flower might be a city mark, and the T inside may be the year it was hallmarked. Have to take this one to an expert I guess:thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Hi, the flower is a traditional Norwegian City Mark for Trondheim (for silver and this probably has been used for gold as well) - the T is probably related to the city. The 65 may be the year of manufacture
hallmark.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks Harry! I've been looking at those aswell, but I'm wondering if the T represents the year, because the city of Trondheim got its modern name in the period 1925-1930; it used to be "Nidaros".. And I think the must be older than that. Looking at different types of date stamps, I figured it had to be from the mid 1800s..I'm probably wrong though. I'm going to take the ring to some people tomorrow who might be able to tell. :happysmiley:

Upvote 0
Ooh, this is exiting! I can't stop doing research.. I need an answer! :-D So i found this! image046.gif
It seems the ring is from the city of Tromsø! Far north..
Then "65" has to be the year it was hallmarked. I read somewhere that here in Norway they changed the law in 1891; so that gold and silver had to be hallmarked using the metric system (insted of Karat). So far it looks like the ring dates back to 1865 :O

Upvote 0
Great research! Where did you find the information? I searched for 19th century Norway hallmarks but found nothing to match yours.

Congrats on a great find!

DCMatt

Upvote 0
Thanks 8-) I was just searching like crazy till I found it! It was on a norwegian page about silver hallmarks,
but they would have used the same marks on gold. ( Norske solvstempler )
There is a list with marks from different norwegian cities :-)

I also came to the conclusion that the smaller ring I found inside the gold ring is silver. It has no markings
which means it must have been somewhat homemade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back