Old Drive-In Movie lots

There only one left on my area that hasn't been built over already. I have been thinking of trying it, especially around the old ticket and concession stands, but haven't been able to get up there yet. That ones on my list to hit over the summer. Good luck with yours and let us know how it works out for you! HH!

Not a bad idea and one I hadn't thought about hunting. There is an old drive-in here in Myrtle Beach that has been closed for many, many years. I'll go look it over in the morning and see about getting permission and a little history about the place and I'll let you know how it goes.

I only ever did 1 once. and it was a non-Discriminating detector, back in the "olden-Days"? ;) one thing you want to remember, use your smallest coil. they are VERY trashy. SPOTS to Check; Up in front of the Screen. alot of theatres had swing-sets. for the kids, plus up front, the parents could keep an eye on them . <> around the Concession stand of course <> and in the Extreeme back. When I used to Frequent these places, the BEER Party was the last 2 rows ; And the additional entertainment, when not in the back-seat, was in the woods/field behind it.(depending on the theatre). ALOT of pants came off back there , so change, etc . falling out of pockets, would have happend frequently.

I tried one, and found that it was paved at one time. There was a lair of grey sand over the paving, as well as years of sand blown in. So at first glance it didn't look paved. I dug through the pavement for a few signals, but soon came to see that it wasn't worth the effort. It was loaded with bottlecaps as you might expect.

Went out to the old drive-in location today and found a new storage facility had been built over it. Guess we have to stay ahead of the construction crews.
So, I have had my eye on an older looking church in the area. I went by it since there wasn't a drive-in to search and had no luck finding anyone or a phone # to get permission to hunt. After driving back and forth past it a couple times I just couldn't resist at least 15 minutes, just to see what kind of targets I could get. I dug a '55 wheatie and a couple clad and decited to jet.
Think I'll keep trying to find someone to get permission to hunt it good.
Merry Christmas

xXx--I always like finding wheaties as a sign. Someone probably dropped silver there too!

I agree with jeff of Pa.,try the area in front of where the screen would have been.When I was a kid,all the drive-ins in my area had a playground right in front of the big screen.The surrounding woods were also well used for various activities,if you know what I mean. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back