✅ SOLVED Old Doll

AuxArx

Sep 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to find out what kind of doll this is...belonged to my mother and was in a box with her old Shirley Temple doll, but I don't think this one is a Shirley...can't find any that look like her anywhere...does anyone know? She's about 17" high and I can't find any marks anywhere. My mother was born in 1925, so this doll is probably around 80 years old. Thanks for any help. doll 010.jpgdoll 009.jpg

Last edited:
Your Mom's doll is a Shirley Temple, 17" made of composition, which is sawdust, glue, resin, and corn flour. They were advertised as 'non-breakable.' Cold press composition was used around 1890. Hot press compo dolls were made around 1920's. The IDEAL TOY Company made a vast number of composition Shirley Temple dolls and they made their debut in 1934. There are doll hospitals that can restore this doll, and make it look like new!
Neat item :)
Breezie
PS: Welcome to the forum!

Upvote 0
Thank you...I wasn't sure if she was a Shirley Temple or not because her face doesn't look like the ones I've found in pictures, especially the little mouth...is she an earlier one?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Thank you...I wasn't sure if she was a Shirley Temple or not because her face doesn't look like the ones I've found in pictures, especially the little mouth...is she an earlier one?

Thanks again.

Look under the hair at the back of the neck/hairline and see if it is marked IDEAL or anything. Judging by your photos, she looks like a circa 1934 Shirley Temple composition. The pic below shows an IDEAL compo Shirley, which had bottom lashes only, blond eyebrows, and a ring around the iris. I look forward to seeing what you find on the back of her neck.
:)
Breezie
ShirleyTempleCompo.jpg

Upvote 0
Look under the hair at the back of the neck/hairline and see if it is marked IDEAL or anything. Judging by your photos, she looks like a circa 1934 Shirley Temple composition. The pic below shows an IDEAL compo Shirley, which had bottom lashes only, blond eyebrows, and a ring around the iris. I look forward to seeing what you find on the back of her neck.
Breezie
View attachment 865302

I don't see anything on the back of the head. The wig cap, or whatever it is that the hair is attached to, is really brittle and I didn't want to tear it, but I can't see anything that looks like writing.

Another question--did these dolls have voice boxes or something? When I tilt her back and forth, something clunks inside of her, but there's no sound. Just wondered!

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
I don't see anything on the back of the head. The wig cap, or whatever it is that the hair is attached to, is really brittle and I didn't want to tear it, but I can't see anything that looks like writing.

Another question--did these dolls have voice boxes or something? When I tilt her back and forth, something clunks inside of her, but there's no sound. Just wondered!

Thanks again for your help.

Most of the time, the maker/company name is on the back of the neck or right under the wig at the back of the neck.

What you hear rolling around in the head is a broken part of the 'sleep eyes.' There are 2 types of eyes for sleeping dolls: #1 "T" post (generally are porcelain for antique dolls) and #2 Individual sockets (generally plastic and for newer dolls; newer meaning 1930's up) Below are pics of both types. If your doll doesn't sleep anymore, it's because part of the eye mechanisms are broken and rattling around in her head.
Breezie
DollEyes1.jpg
DollEyes.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back