Old civil war er house yields cool find!!

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an old civil war era house today. I have pulled many cw relics from the dirt there. However today only snagged a couple items. Found a 1926 wheat penny and this awesome hatchet. I have found axes. I have found hammers. I have never found both in one. I was quite satisfied with my finds even though I didn't get any civil war stuff. Thanks for looking!!! Oh yea can anyone tell me. Round about guess on the age of the Hatchet? Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 2
Great hatchet!

Kind of reminds me of an early version of a shingle hammer.

Lathing Hatchet - circa early 1900's

Prior to the introduction of sheetrock, interior walls and ceilings were covered with strips of wood lath, then coated with plaster. The top of a lathing hatchet is nearly flush with the hammer head, to allow close nailing in tight corners, such as where a wall meets a ceiling. Shingling hatchets are not flush on the top, and extend up above the hammer head.

CC Hunter

Here is a photo of a Civil War soldier holding a hatchet.. Civil War era hatchets.

Attachments

• hatchet.jpg
    hatchet.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 103
  • hatchet2.jpg
    hatchet2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 109
  • hatchet3.jpg
    hatchet3.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 105
That's cool. Thanks for all the comments. However not sure if the one I have is the same as the civil war photo. His axe looks to be quite a bit bigger.

That's cool. Thanks for all the comments. However not sure if the one I have is the same as the civil war photo. His axe looks to be quite a bit bigger.
....No....Ken,and CC Ided your item with dead on detail :thumbsup:

several details you need to note between yours and the fine pics Hut provided is #1 the flat top of yours which CC described,and the octagon "hammer",on the CW period piece vs yours which is round

Last edited:
Here's a pic of mine, it's got the 16 inch framing handle on it. It's a True Temper and probably dates 1960's I'd guess

Attachments

• 100_2284.JPG
    100_2284.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back