Old church part 2

M

mchamby

:( I went back to the old church Friday for a couple of hours. The first hour I found 3 modern pennies and a broach made of very heavy metal it is the size of 2 quarters and at one time had stones of some sort in it. The metal is not silver or gold and not rusty. The pin was still on the back but bent over since it was 4 inches down and apparently run over. I all so found a couple of smashed soda cans, a few pull tabs, chrome looking hook for the wall, and a couple of very rusty large bolts with nuts. Then what happens but someone pulls in and I get yelled at. The man that was mowing the other day and gave me permission mowed right over next to an old unused barn (looks like used for storage maybe now) so anyway I thought the church owner over to the barn...wrong. The man yells something at me and it sounds like digging for gold and I said I wish. He then motions for me to come over to his truck, I take my head phones off since I really can't hear him and he says no I said are you digging holes. I answered yes and he said it was private property in a not nice way. I said I had gotten permission and he asked in a gruff voice from whom. I stated the grounds keeper the other day and a couple of the ladies from the church. He states its not their property see that post thats where my land starts. Well I appologized several times and he said I hope you filled in those holes and I told him I'm very good about that and he won't see where I had dug. Then he pipes up and says well I guess if you fill in the holes good you can hunt here, I had, had enough of the 3 feet over the line that I went and told him I was only finding nuts and bolts and would go over on the other side of the church. He left and I trudged over to the other side. After cooling off from the upset I found 2 modern quarters and a 1912 wheatie, also a run over brass jingle bell. On the way back to the jeep I found a pretty heart shaped pendant, that is the size of 1 1/2 quarters, at one time it was 3 dimensional but had since been runover, it is filigree looking maybe silver but is black at this point.
The grounds keeper saw me as he drove by and decided to ask if I had found any treasure. I told him what I found and about his neighbor, in case the neighbor mentioned it to him. His wife and him were not surprized with the neighbors reaction I guess the congregation has had problems with bounderies in the past. I was also told by this couple that the church area had been hunted many times in the past so that is probably why I didn't find alot. They were very a very nice older couple. I was happy with what I found and called it quits since I had hit all the area they owned plus 3 feet of the neighbors. I have to wait for rain again before I can hunt my next site. HH to all..
Mchamby :)

Upvote 0
at least the angry neighbor cooled down after talking to you and gave you permission. sounds like you did a good job of explaining yourself and showing him that you are responsable. nice finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back