Old car parts?

Outbackwack

Oct 1, 2013
Boston, Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (8.5x11.5, 5x8), White's Eagle Spectrum, Garrett Pro Pointer, ZenBori
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting at a friend's barn where an old road went through back in the 40's and she thought there used to be a lot of accidents at the curve. I dug these up and then became selective because the ATP wouldn't shut up in the entire area until I backed off the sensitivity a few notches. TONS of iron everywhere but no coins :-(

The pic on the left looks like some kind of filter. There's a hex screw on the top and it looks like it separates. I'd love to know what the leaf spring is from. The finned bit in the middle is copper.

Old car parts.JPG

Just a guess but the item on the left, if it was from a vehicle, could be an air conditioning accumulator, or a vacuum canister, but more likely from a refrigerator or freezer. I don't recognize the center piece as from a vehicle, but I've only been selling vehicle parts since the '60's, and there's lots more knowledgeable people on this site than me.

Upvote 0
Yes, the finned piece is hollow and folded over/crimped, but the fins do no go all the way through. I scraped it when digging and it shines copper, but it feels heavy for copper. It seems more like a heat sink. Thanks!

Upvote 0
The finned piece looks like its from one of those old heavy duty so to speak hair clippers from the 60's. Canister ????? remote oil filter possibly but think the fridge idea may be more likely.

Upvote 0
To me the finned piece looks like it was maybe a match striker, perhaps part of vespa or match safe?

Upvote 0
I don't believe the item on the left is automotive at all. To be an AC accumulator it would have to have an inlet and an outlet. It looks like an old float for a sump pump. This pic isn't as old of a float as I would have liked, but similar.

image-2499844159.jpg

Upvote 0
Interesting...thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back