Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings all, dug this button recently. cross with pellets is very similar to 1640s Portuguese coin I have, it seems to be solid other than the hole from missing Shank. heaviest button I've ever held in hand. anyone suggest an approximate date on this item? reads high like a copper alloy. Thanks in advance and best digs to all Herbie 20160511_112056.jpg

Never seen one like that! (Other than smaller Lead ones)

Sure its not Pewter? (Must be at least 18th C)

Upvote 0
Thanks Crusader :hello:

I had looked on the Portable antiquities site and found several similar examples listed as medieval, and since such finds are rare on this side
just thought I'd post here for you experts opinion.
Detector #s far from any tin alloy such as pewter, thick lead will read High, now looking at the button, it has the purple brown color of saltwater silver :icon_scratch:
Have a test kit at home, what do you think of performing a rub? imagine its no a million dollar artifact but I do not like to damage items of any possible historic significance.
Note: it measures exactly 1 inch D. more pix now.20160612_075749.jpg20160612_075815.jpg

Upvote 0
It's a very old design for sure. You have a Revolutionary War "USA" in that batch, a "US" from the War of 1812 era and the artillery is War of 1812 era also. The others on the top may have something interestng on them also.

Upvote 0
Herbie - I have a few similar examples with different designs that are heavy copper alloy as well, and I've dated mine to about 1650-1700. If it came from the same site as that teardrop drawer handle you posted then that date range should be fairly good.

Upvote 0
Thanks Smokey the cat and BillD, the buttons all came from Stone Pier Foundation I have literally hunted 1000 times slow going will always tweak out some iffy signals and new recoveries appreciate the input and we can mark this thread solved thanks again and Great Danes all haha that's great Diggs all I know I don't have room for Great Danes

Upvote 0
Thanks Crusader :hello:

I had looked on the Portable antiquities site and found several similar examples listed as medieval, and since such finds are rare on this side
just thought I'd post here for you experts opinion.
Detector #s far from any tin alloy such as pewter, thick lead will read High, now looking at the button, it has the purple brown color of saltwater silver :icon_scratch:
Have a test kit at home, what do you think of performing a rub? imagine its no a million dollar artifact but I do not like to damage items of any possible historic significance.
Note: it measures exactly 1 inch D. more pix now.View attachment 1324319View attachment 1324320

Found the smaller medieval types & they are mostly lead, plus they never got that big until the 17th C & where copper-alloy & manufactured with a drilled shank. I believe yours is 18th C. It may not be British??

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back