May 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• button.jpg
    button.jpg
    565.8 KB · Views: 195
Upvote 0
Sure wish I could help but the picture just doesn't show enough. A closer shot of the front and back and a measurement will be your best shot. If you ever get a chance to get some cheap digital calipers you will be amazed how many of the members can ID such things if you have the exact information. Cost is arounc $20 on the calipers. :icon_thumleft:Welcome to Tnet and hope to see many more from you.

Sure wish I could help but the picture just doesn't show enough. A closer shot of the front and back and a measurement will be your best shot. If you ever get a chance to get some cheap digital calipers you will be amazed how many of the members can ID such things if you have the exact information. Cost is arounc $20 on the calipers. :icon_thumleft:Welcome to Tnet and hope to see many more from you.

love the avatar tnguns lol

Using super-magnification on the photo, your button appears to be what button collectors call a brass 1-piece flatbutton. I can make out a raised-marking wreath on its back, which indicates it dates from approximately 1790 to 1840. The wreath on the back was usually accompanied by the word "gilt" (meaning, gold-plated) or "plated" (meaning, silver-plated).

You did not bother to include a photo showing the button's front, so for the moment I'll assume the front is blank. Plain-front brass 1-piece flatbuttons were manufactured for use on civilian coats & jackets... although a (very) few did get used on Militia uniforms.

Welcome to T Net!
Nice finds for your first MD'ing adventure!

thanks for the info and sorry my camera doesn't have the best focus up close and good job on being able to point out the description of the button , that's pretty spot on(yes the back is just blank with some finish worn off ) I found it outside a house that was built around 1800 and it truly is my first real find with my metal detector. I have a bounty hunter pioneer 202 and im learning to use it is a new hobby so any tips on it or metal detecting do's and dont's is appreciated , as well as getting that model to work in the sand as I travel to the beach a lot.

thanks for the info and sorry my camera doesn't have the best focus up close and good job on being able to point out the description of the button , that's pretty spot on(yes the back is just blank with some finish worn off ) I found it outside a house that was built around 1800 and it truly is my first real find with my metal detector. I have a bounty hunter pioneer 202 and im learning to use it is a new hobby so any tips on it or metal detecting do's and dont's is appreciated , as well as getting that model to work in the sand as I travel to the beach a lot.

Just a small note on your description; you say 'yes the back is just blank'. Although I understood you meant the 'front', it is the front & you picture the reverse or back. (very picky I know, but a good habit to get in when describing objects)
On the sand issue, I'm not familar with your make of machine but very few machines work both land & sea (wet sandy). You might just be OK on dry sandy & get lots of false signals on wet sand.

yes I meant the front is blank , and my machine worked well in the dry sand and didn't bother trying in the wet sand (found some clad and some beer cans) but have done some research on youtube about it and you can tweek the settings for wetsand from what ive seen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back