Old British Black Teapot

kootenay joe

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2018
West Kootenays, B.C.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello. This is my first post. I have an old black pottery teapot that i am hoping you might be able to identify and comment on.
It was purchased by a family member in Britain about 1880 as an antique (older than 100 years)
The length including handle and spout is 9.5" and width is 5" and height is 5.25" to top of lid(broken off tip).
Weight is 973 grams or 1 pound 12 ounces. IMGP5540.JPGIMGP5543.JPGIMGP5544.JPGIMGP5546.JPGIMGP5548.JPGIMGP5539.JPG

That is really cool looking I would guess its a very collectible piece.

Upvote 0
Yes it does look like the Josiah Wedgewood teapot in the Worthpoint link. The 'family story' that accompanies this pot is that it might be an early J. Wedgewood teapot. However i need an 'expert' to confirm this and hopefully explain where it might fit in with early Wedgewood pottery.
It would also be interesting to know if it has much value. The lid is missing 2 pieces (every top knob ? and piece out of edge) and the tip of the spout is chipped.
Also it is not marked anywhere (maker's marking or merchant marking). Is this usual for early Wedgewood ?
I am hoping to learn more.
kj

Upvote 0
Thank you vpnavy. Is this the correct forum to ask about an old British teapot ? I say British because it looks like an early Wedgewood and it was bought in Britain. However by mid 1700's Britain had looted stuff from all over the world so it's origin could be anywhere.
kj

Upvote 0
Welcome to Treasurenet !
Some history:
Josiah Wedgwood introduced into production a black stoneware body in 1768. He called it ‘Black Basaltes'; we know it as black basalt. Made from reddish-brown clay which burned black in firing, this ceramic body was superior in its appearance to the local 'Egyptian Black' wares produced in the area prior to that date.
Wedgwood's black basalt body owed its richer colour to the addition of manganese, and was used by Josiah in the production of exquisite ornamental wares such as vases, portrait medallions, plaques, library busts and candlesticks.
Wedgwood, with prescience, said of his newly developed body: 'Black is Sterling and will last forever'.

Source:The Wedgwood Museum ? Learning ? Black basalt
Don......

Upvote 0
Hi Gene. I know nothing about anything here. Novice among novices.
Don, are you able to say with confidence that my teapot is an early Josiah Wedgwood ? I collect pocket knives and fakes abound. However here i am confident that it goes back to at least 1870 so a 'fake' is not an issue here. The question is: were there any other potteries using this black basalt and the detailed surface features ? I doubt it, but this is just an assumption. Anyone know ?
If it is an early Wedgwood what might be the value in this condition ?
thanks for the welcomes,
kj

Upvote 0
Quick web search reveals that early Wedgwood can be unmarked but it is very difficult to correctly attribute those pieces as Wedgwood. These would all be 18th century pieces. Welcome to tnet.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back