Old ballfield gives up a couple keepers!

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Since I couldn't hunt with Jeff of PA today due to his unfortunate finger slicing incident I decided to go to the ball field he pulled that beautiful 1853 Seated Liberty quarter from last weekend. I also thought I'd try a different approach today by leaving the Etrac in the truck and giving the F75 LTD a shot at this field, don't know if it was luck or destiny but I'll take it either way. Maybe the old F75 is trying to tell me to stop leaving her at home...I will say one thing....I forgot just how hard that machine hits on coins at depth.

I was swinging for about 2 hours, finding one wheat and nothing else but clad when the LTD gave me a solid repeatable 89-90 and the depth meter showed 11"..........I had already been fooled many times today by deep shotgun brass and iron but this one sounded different. At about 10" I saw the round disk in the dirt and was thankful I didn't walk away from that signal. Turned out to be an 1851 Large Cent, only my second one in 7 years of this obsession.

Here she is:
Large 1.jpg
Large 3.jpg

After another hour and a few more pieces of clad I got a solid 85-86 at 6" and here's where the LTD reminded me how strong she was...this Silver FFA pin was at least 6" and the machine screamed like it was laying on top, impressive for a target half the size of a penny!

FFA Pin.jpg

I might just have to give the LTD another chance to show her stuff tommorow!

HH

Dave

Upvote 2
That is awesome silver! Very cool find.

WoW! Congratulations!!!!! :occasion14:

That's sort of like the Lone Ranger and Tonto getting back together again. The F75 is a great detector with the right pair of ears holding it. Congrats on the cool finds. I'll take a Copper over a barber dime anyday. I bet your arm thanks you for the F75 hunt. Keep it up!

sweet silver nice haul :occasion14:

Nice largie and the silver!

I find the F-75 is very good on rusted copper (pennies).
Maybe that is why they call her a good relic machine? :dontknow:

Sweet! :icon_thumright:

the F75 LTD aye ? that surprises me.
not that it found it, just that you were able to switch back.
Cool on the Large cent, I'm not surprised there was one of them there,
hopefully a 1793 chain cent for me :laughing7:

I like the silver Future Farmers pin too
I wonder what age that one has.
being it's silver, I'd say 60 years or more is not pushing it.

Congrats !
Clean the rest of that shotgun brass out the way for me,
must have been allot of pigeon shoots there

Last edited:
i was impressed with what you were doing with the f75 ltd before you got the etrac. i think you have a deadly combo between the two machines. awesome job.

Thanks guys! Brett you're right my arms definitely noticed the difference between the LTD and the Etrac. Now I know how nice it must be swingin' that Deus all day!

Jeff......you know the first thing I thought of when I saw the date..............FLYING Eagle cents.......I think we both know that is a good possibility at this field now!

Tex........you're right, it is a pretty good combination. As long as the ground is really neutral I think the LTD can hold it's own against the Etrac but when there is any amount of mineralization I'll take the E every time!!

Dave

Jeff......you know the first thing I thought of when I saw the date..............FLYING Eagle cents.......I think we both know that is a good possibility at this field now!

Dave

somewhere in the area was a training camp for civil War soldiers.
the fact I pulled that Civil was Button out of the same field,
yes anything that would / could have been in pockets
during that era could have fell out

Left side of that field was dozed at one point also & some losses may have been pushed to that area.

in the general area where I placed the yellow Dot is a Square or Rectangular
Metal Block, Or Box too large to budge at least without digging all the way around it.
But wouldn't attempt it considering location. (unless I can get a Boro Worker Curious :laughing7: )
But Very odd on top appears to be a couple types of metal.

Untitledww.jpg

Last edited:
Jeff...........that goes to show why we never find everything.....I don't think I ever even hit that box and if it's as big as you say it is how can we expect to find all them little coins.....LOL!!

Dave

The box sets the detector off about a foot away from it already.
sounds like bad ground or a trash pit.
& Squeals loud when you get over the top in pinpoint

wow, nice find Dave!!!!!!! I can't stress how much I absolutely hate that field, I really wish you guys would quit finding things there so we could write it off :)

remember, just cause Jeff wasn't going didn't mean you couldn't call the rest of us ;)
BK and I will most likely be going somewhere next sunday so keep in touch.

BTW, my wife gave me crap for not finding that FFA pin for her when I was there, she just doesn't understand this hobby and how it works :icon_scratch:

LOL @ DJM...............I know the feeling. I didn't have a "lets go" attitude when I got there Saturday morning either.....but your darn uncle keeps pushing me back there....LOL! I went to another one of those "types" on Sunday morning too....that old church lawn in the other valley.....another place only "Hoover" finds anything on every trip. I took the LTD again and pulled two silver Rosies from that high grass to the west of the lawn, both about 6 inches deep.

The FFA pin was a nice find.........so darn small and the LTD really SLAMMED it at 6".

I'll let you know what my weekend looks like.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back