Old Asian pottery???

jtw1313

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why Asian? I'm guessing Islamic/Arabic/Middle Eastern... It seems very poorly cast.

Upvote 0
It is not metal it is clay.......the glaze is purposely done like that I believe

Upvote 0
Definitely kiln fired stoneware clay with glaze

Upvote 0
Raku fired pottery. Hint of copper in the glaze.
Method dates back to the 1500's, and is reproduced commonly.

" Raku generally refers to a type of low-firing process that was inspired by traditional Japanese raku firing. Western-style raku usually involves removing pottery from the kiln while at bright red heat and placing it into containers with combustible materials. Once the materials ignite, the containers are closed. This produces an intense reduction atmosphere which affects the colors in glazes and clay bodies. The drastic thermal shock also produces cracking–known as crackling since it is deliberate. The original Japanese style of raku is an outgrowth from Buddhist influences in life and especially in the tea ceremony. "

Raku.jpg

Upvote 0
pottery, especially Asian pottery, (including recent) is something only an expert can truly make a call on for you, not us. I have paid hundreds of dollars for very small hand mined, hand thrown and hand painted by well known artists (in the ceramic world) items that frankly were not all that different than what the average Joe would think came from the 100 yen shop. Get it looked at.

Upvote 0
Thanks unclemac I do know some stuff about pottery that’s why I picked it up.....but it does seem like this piece only a expert could really know the answer

Upvote 0
Nice finds you have a good eye for cool stuff seen on many of your posts keep em coming

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back