10.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20110616_205736-1.jpg
    IMG_20110616_205736-1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20110616_205743-1.jpg
    IMG_20110616_205743-1.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 240
Re: Ol' ball and chain?

That thing can't weigh 40 lbs. Impossible, even if it was made out of lead. You mean 4 lbs. right?

Upvote 0

;D ha I just weighed it,7lb! I recently had back surgery haven't lifted anything heavy in awhile?

Upvote 0

Your logic surpasses your good looks, Rogerdodger. But the ones I have seen, more modern than this I am sure, have a screw attachment on the end. This one with the "strap" seems to go east-west when it should be going north-south. But I am with you---let's see how much dirt is in that sucker!

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger said:
Your logic surpasses your good looks, Rogerdodger. But the ones I have seen, more modern than this I am sure, have a screw attachment on the end. This one with the "strap" seems to go east-west when it should be going north-south. But I am with you---let's see how much dirt is in that sucker!
It could be filled with cork and also could be a sump pump ball. That looks like a screw hole or might be a dent in it.

Upvote 0

At the reported size of 4"-diameter, and reported weight of 7 pounds, that spherical object is definitely not filled with dirt. It is "filled with" iron. I own one of those objects, because a local relic-digger brought me one for confirmation of his belief that it is a cannonball. I had to tell him it definitely is not a cannonball. He then said "Keep it, to educate other relic-diggers."

The object he brought me (which looks identical to Tector's object, including the size) is a sphere made of thin sheet-copper, consisting of two hemispherical halves, which contain an iron ball. My best guess is that it is a some kind of well-pump counterweight, or other counterweight intended for use in a very-wet (or underwater) environment. The copper covering's purpose is to prevent rusting/corrosion of the ball-shaped iron weight.

Upvote 0

I agree with u cannonball. It's too heavy for dirt. One side has two points broken off that could be used for attachment. Sure was excited digging it, thinking cannonball find_doh. Thanks_solved

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back