✅ SOLVED okay button people show me what you got! aka help id this please.

normalnovice

Mar 3, 2013
reading, PA area
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so i got this little guy about a week ago now and i can't seem to find any good markings at all. there could be a "C" on the back and an M somewhere on the front. details are super worn. sorry. any help would be awesome. thanks
vhdmj7.jpg

9u2kif.jpg

Added image and info.

It appears to be a brass (or perhaps "Tombac") 1-piece flatbutton, missing its loop on the back. It is a type which was manufactured from the 1790s through the 1830s, for use on civilian clothing, although a comparative few did get used on Militia uniforms. See the third one in the image below.

Attachments

• buttons_types-of-1-piece_chart.jpg
    buttons_types-of-1-piece_chart.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed, its a circa 1780s-1800 tombac button with more than the usual green.

Upvote 0
thank you for the info. i think i may have found a "- AD" across the front in a kind of arch. with a possible WM combo letter underneath any additional ideas

Upvote 0
thank you for the info. i think i may have found a "- AD" across the front in a kind of arch. with a possible WM combo letter underneath any additional ideas

Just corrosion, or the remains of a design. You'd be hard pressed to find a lettered tombac button even looking online. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen one and nothing is coming to mind, and I've seen thousands of the things.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back